Hi, I would like to know if there is a possibility to stop the cocaine addiction by using acupuncture. I ask this for my older brother who as usual started with marijuana, but soon after switched to stronger stuff. And it was all because of the bad company he was hanging with. And now, even though he wishes to stop with the agony, it is far from easy. Can you help us?

Well, honestly I have not heard of treating addiction with the acupuncture but I am certain that he can try it, it won't hurt. Still, I think that maybe the regular, standard procedure should be tried also. With the help of the medications and doctors that are experts in the addiction area, he might really have a success with eliminating his problem.

Nothing can cure his addiction. You need to get him into residential treatment or a 12 step program. You should go to a group called Al-Anon or Alateen, it's for the family members of addicts. People who have gone through the same type of thing can help guide you through it. That's all you can do for your brother and for yourself. Good luck

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

Actually the post above mine is NOT true. Joining AA or NA is not the only way he can quit. The post above mine is by a NA member, so of course he wants you to join his club. Your brother needs to know 1 thing. HE can cure his addiction. He doesn't need NA (or accupuncture) to be cocaine free. He needs strength & willpower. He needs to REALLY WANT to quit. I grew up in teen NA because of my mom & I find it amazing how AA & NA members replace their addictions & associative habits with going to meetings. Those meetings consist of "war stories"(reminiscing about those days in the past when you got high & why) which makes more than 60 % of new members fail the program,because it reminds them of why they wanted to be high in the first place. It didn't work for my mom, & then, being raised around so many substance abusers, I then had problems with substance abuse. Because of that program, I had an alcoholic & a crackhead for step-dads. I had ex felons,dealers & junkies as role models. I quit methamphetamines & cocaine more than 12 years ago. Because I realised it was killing me. No programs, no medications or treatments. Just muscling through detox & changing my friends. Change your habits because most addictions are associative as much as actual physical addictions. Understanding that your willpower alone can make the changes you want to see in your life. If your brother joins, all of his new friends & associations will be with current & ex addicts. The program works for some, but not for most. Good luck to you and your brother.