My niece was born premature at only 1lb. she is 6months old now and at 6lbs. she is still in hospital with alot of health problems. I and everyone else knows the mother took drugs the whole 6 months she was pregnant with the baby, but the mother told the drs she did not do drugs. I have not spoken with the drs to know if they believe that or not. the mother says that the drs have put the baby on methadone to wean her off another narcotic they had to give her for one of her conditions. My question is would they have put her on methadone to wean her off another narcotic that they gave her? or are they really giving her methadone because her mother used drugs while pregnant with her?

I am a 4th year resident at a pediatric clinic and the only time we ever gave an infant methadone it was because the infant was born with opiates in his/her system... it is common practice to test a premature infant for drugs in a urinalysis or fecal chemical analysis. methadone is used to treat an opiate addiction or pain management in an individual with prior addictions. if the drs have just put the infant on methadone it is possible that the addiction was caused by the treatment given in the hospital.. it all depends on when the patient was started on methadone...

Apparently hospital staff has join the id**t club!! What the hell are you guys doing giving newborns methadone?? I have been on methadone for 6 yrs and it is 20 times harder to ween off then heroin or pills(oxy,hydro) not to mention it can be deadly!! Basically you are putting the child through more hell, good job but I guess thats why its called practicing medicine because really you have no fing idea what your doing its all just an educated guess! I am at a loss, I just can't understand this at all. Is this going to end up like crack babies from the nineties were it was a mistake about how addicted the babies were??

That may be true in a pediatric clinic, but in the NICU extremely premature babies must be kept sedated most of the time. This is often done with morphine so as baby gets closer to going home they will use methadone to wean baby off the morphine they have been receiving for months to keep them sedated so they can finish growing on the inside. I'm actually sitting in the NICU right now researching this issue when i came across this post.