My 5 year old was in the NICU for about a month. She was detoxing from methadone. I have so many concerns. I became pregnant while on the program. My husband, at the time, was extremely helpful and understanding. We did use drugs together, but he was able to get clean with out the help of methadone. When I found out I was pregnant I wanted to come off the drug, but the Dr wouldn't let me. He said it would harm my baby. She has been the smartest baby. She has never had a problem sleeping, learning or anything. She is now 5, in per K, and going to start kindergarten in September. I am noticing she is very hyper active. I asked the teacher if she is any more active than other children. She says no way. But she does have difficulty sitting still during story time unless she's interested and she doesn't focus as much. The teacher did say she is extremely smart and beyond a kindergarten level when she applies herself. My now ex husband left us about 8 months ago. He never had concerns before until his 24 yr old girlfriend has been putting things in his head. My daughter gets sick but not anymore than any other child. She text me to go kill myself because my daughter has no immune system because of me. My ex was always a wonderful man and I'm hurt and worried of the things they may tell my child. And I'm a great mother who made the biggest mistake. I am now a nurse and I work in pediatrics. My concern and questions are does anyone know the long term effects of this? Could my daughter be hyper and not pay attention in school do to this? I don't know what the future will hold, but I'm worried for hers. Thank you for any suggestions.

I think you have nothing to worry about. Don't letothers bring you down. I think a 5 year old will be a 5 year old regardless of how they were born. You did what needed to be done. I would just stop worrying and lay down rules. No matter how much you think anything is your fault its not.

My baby brother was born addicted to methadone and spent over a month in the NICU detoxing. I am proud to say that he is now an extremely intelligent, outgoing, healthy and successful 19 year old. He continually tested very high in school however he did struggle with focus and self discipline. If you can help your daughter develop these skills early in life she will be even better equipped to handle school and life in general. Don't let others bring you down, you are clearly a caring and involved mother, and the doc was right, if you had gone off of methadone while pregnant she would have likely died in utero. Congrats on a bright daughter with a bright future.