? hi all
i am in a seriouse relationship that i know for a fact is moving to the next level . we talk about having kids allt he time and i lovwe the idea of it because i am a very big family person.. my question is what can happen to the unborn child because my BF has been in a methadone treatment for a year now can it harm the baby when we do concieve i dont want to bring a child in to the worl that will suffer so please help me i have tryed searching for answers every where and never get them..
sincerly
trueheartedlover

Okay! Bad New's..... :'( I have been on Methadone for almost 17 year's. I have had 2 babies during this time and I must say that it caused a huge amount of needless suffering for them during my pregnancy's and after they were born. Your unborn baby will get at least half of whatever drug you are doing or are prescribed, so while I was pregnant I had to have an even larger amount of Methadone daily as I would start feeling some withdrawl symtoms due to the pregnancy. Both of my babies were born addicted, it was just horrible. They have to be placed in the NICU to be under 24-hour withdrawl watch where they are given Phenobarb. to combat the hurt of no longer getting the methadone. Which all in it's own started it's own battle with them as they had no appitite and were not gaining weight as they should have been. They were uncomfortable, and it was obvious on sight. Only the few hours immediately after they would get their phenobarb. would they seem "comfortable". Now... I know that you have probably have heard some people say that they have had a baby(s) while being on a addictive drug and their babies had NO problems, or that they never needed any help in the hospital. Well, I do believe that it depends greatly on what your addicted too and the amount, but if you must have a baby now PLEASE get to as low of a miligram as you can because chances are if you start having withdrawl symtoms while pregnant, they will increase your amount as DR.s wont want you going into premature labor, having blood pressure problems, lack of appetite, etc. At least that is how it is with Mom's on Methadone. Bottom line, it's really a very selfish thing to get pregnant while knowing the type of start your more than likely offering your unborn baby. After my first, and seeing all he went through, I swore I would'nt have another one if I couldn't get to a safer lower dose, however accidents do happen...ooops 8-| Jack, my son and Laken my daughter, are doing wonderful now, but it's with me daily how they suffered needlessly because of the Methadone. But, I, like yourself wanted to be a Mom. Just make sure you get as much info. as you can on pregnancy and Methadone, and go to your local hospital and ask if you can see what a baby in the NICU has to go through that's addicted, and tell them why your asking, the NICU nurses are a plethra of knowlage and could answer all your questions. I hope whatever you decide everything works out for the best. And I can't sress this enough...RESEARCH...methadone addicted babies, pregnancy and methadone, etc. Good luck, I'm available to talk on the subject of Methadone anytime should you need answer's.
Take Care
Asia :-D

Detox first. If not, you're going to be in my shoes. I accidentally got pregnant while on MMT, and believe me, I would have rather had anything else happen. The thought of having an addicted baby disgusted me, as did the idea of the rotten social services people being in the hospital for the delivery! That would be most humiliating to you, wouldn't it? Having to prove to total strangers that you can care for your baby? I am lucky, though. I started methadone at 80 mgs, and quickly realized that no one on earth needs a dose that high, unless you WANT to feel it. By the time I got pregnant, I was at 35 mgs. I'm now at 29 mgs, going to 26 tomorrow. Most people who say you can't detox pregnant are coming from the standpoint that you will start dope again as soon as you are off meth! Gotta love stereotypes! Also, unless you are at a high dose, your withdrawl will not totally suck, because most likely you will feel like c**p anyway from first trimester (often the worst), and any minor withdrawls won't even register on your radar. A couple mgs per week won't kill you, neither will some discomfort! For me, it was detox or abort, and i'm about 6 weeks pregnant, detox done by 15 weeks, before the baby is big enough to start "taking" your dose (which I heard really happens because the docs, once again deciding what is in YOUR best interest FOR YOU, tell you to detox in second trimester to avoid miscarriage.) I think it would be better to miscarry trying than to bring a baby into the world to suffer withdrawl as a first life experience. Basically, my situation sucks because I can trust NO ONE, as the clinic will try and block my detox (they think I just want to get off), and they could call social services, as could any doctors I would see for prenatal care. I must get my own vitamins, and fake ectopic pregnancy symptoms to get seen by an ER doc at various hospitals who won't drug test me. It is very scary and very LONELY, no one to confide in who has medical knowledge, basically it is a c**p shoot for me. My advice? WAIT WAIT WAIT! In detox you will deal with anxiety that you never dealt with before-meth detox plus pregnancy hormones! You should also be CLEAN from dope and coke (and obviously the others) for over a year before even considering a detox, as you will need your mental strength to be able to calm yourself down! And another thing, why the rush to have a baby? One thing I would have wished for (i have a four year old daughter, I am 24) was more time with my husband as a couple, because kids change everything, and most relationships CANNOT stand a baby, especially relationships between addicts who have all types of issues to work out. A kid can in NO WAY better your life, marriage, relationship, detox, being clean. or anything, it can only make each of these things more difficult! BUT, it is your life, and if you do get pregnant, don't buy the "safer to stay on meth" hype! After all, they get PAID to feed you meth, don't they? Why wouldn't social services want to be in your life if you give them a chance? They take children away from mothers for a living! Please get down to a low dose before getting preg, and if you can't do that, you ARE NOT READY! Then, begin a slow detox, and KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT unless you have TRUE TRUST for a doctor! (who is obliged to report you, and even though meth is legal, childrens services will crawl up your... quicker than you can spit!) Good luck to you, and please, please get a puppy instead!

YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING PREGNANT WHILE ON THIS,YOU WILL RUIN THE BABIES LIFE BEFORE IT EVEN STARTS.

I might have read trueheartedlover's post wrong but I think she is saying her boyfriend is the one on methadone and she is worried about what will happen if he has methadone in his system what effect can it have on the baby if any . I do not know the answer just trying to help.

people, why such drama? read the question properly then comment. I don't think a junkie of any sort should have children anyway, but this lady's Boyfriend has the addiction problem. I don't think the children will have any physical issues. But beware please, why havong a child with an addict to begin with? aren't you worried that he might go back to his old ways? aren't you worried that he still is an addict? aren't you worried that your babies might one day find his meds and take an overdose? No children deserve to be around some selfish addict and call the man daddy. I say this becouse I am an addict and a father too..

hello sweetheart. If your boyfriend is on methadone, no it cant do anything to the baby. Now if you were it would be a different story. But your boyfriend doesnt carry the child, only you. He only gives 23 chromosomes. Hope this helps!!

She said her BOYFRIEND is on it Not her.

No sweetheart unless you are taking it No it will not effect the child.

Secondly I had a child while on Methadone. he is now 16 He is in his final year of High school. He is already in college part time and has credits already built up from going to college while in high school.
He was born with it in his system Yes he had to be detoxed and NO I would Not Knowingly get pregnant while on heroin or methadone/.

Sadly at that time in my life though I was well On methadone trying to get my life together and by the time I discovered i was pregnant they could not take me off for fear of miscarriage So IF anyone discovers they are pregnant and they are on methadone PLEASE rethink coming off of it.
My son was given a taper dose for 5 days. he was a perfectly normal baby once they gave him something and he actually except the fussiness before they medicated him scored high on APGAR scale.
He has never had a issue because of the methadone or my initial drug use when he was first conceived (i did not discover i was pregnant till i was 4 months and i was on methadone program for two of those 4 the other two well I was a addict.)

I did have him tested throughout toddler hood to be sure he was growing and doing well with no issues.

The only thing different about him is he is smart as heck he was reading college level at 5th grade.

Yes it is important Not to intentionally get pregnant if YOU the mother are on methadone or heroin
If however you are a heroin addict and you discover you are pregnant Please get into a rehab or on a methadone program and stay with it.
The methadone is a lot better than you running the streets shooting heroin and not knowing what your child is getting. There was just a story on the net that much of the Heroin sold in the US in the last few years have some seriously Dangerous cuts on it.
So Please Methadone and the change in life it can bring to a addict is so much better for that child.
My Son is proof of that

Here you can find some information and free consultations about how to get off methadone or any other opiate
Getting pregnant while on heroin, methadone or some other opiates is just terrible.
I don't understand why would people have to be on methadone anyway.
There are ways to be clean without any opiate or other drugs in your system.

To the judgementals that have posted here : It really saddens me to see people assume that a person is a illegal drug user, or a 'nasty addict' simply because they take methadone. how would you feel if people assumed the worst of you?

This woman hasn't said he was a recovering addict, simply that he is in treatment. That could be a variety of things. You don't know the whole story. So why assume you do?

Please try and not be so judgemental, and try and remember that there are other uses for it, like chronic pain management and other things that have nothing to do with illegal drugs. I use methadone for managing pain, and i have never done drugs, save the methadone.

And besides, even if they are using it to get off a drug addiction, don't you think it says something that they are getting help for it?

As for the question, i doubt it will effect your chances, but i would talk to a dr. Just in case. If you find out though, please share your findings. Im looking to see if it will effect me being able to concieve or not.

Many blessings!
Misty

when i met my husband 11yrs ago i didnt know he was a heroine user! i was so nieve, i remember taking him to a clinic everymorning,finally i asked what this was for he told me, i was so woried he had been a heroine user for 4 yrs he was 23 i was 21 he said methadone was a way to help stop heroine use well since then we have 4 kids 9,7,5,2 & they are perfect we are happily married and hes an awesome dad some people when they are ready for change they will do it! i never left his side he has never used again! our five yearold son does have autisum, but its not from methadone use. so i hope this helps your baby will be ok!

my boyfriend is also on methadone and we are trying to conceive why because we love each other and he wanted a change from his drug use so went into a drug program he works goes to school is an excellent cook and boyfriend just because someone is on methadone it doesnt make them less so my advice is go ahead give him a reason to stay clean, as for you and the baby you should be fine because the semen runs through a totally different part no traces urine yes semen no so i hope this helps

hi asia,

can u tell me what dose u were on while pregnant to both yr babies...iv come dwn to 55mg n ii dnt knw wat to do..maybe the less u r on myt not affect tht much...jst found out ysterdy tht am pregnant...its the methadone thts woring me...wat if i get off it b4 the baby is born will tht be ok....ir u kids healthy now r they gud at skool im jst woried my child myt be a slow developer.ill hv to talk to a cads councellor i guess..

goodluck to u and both yr children..i knw its not an easy life but methadone ds help...wish u all the best...

thnx

di

THIS IS SUCH BS BOTH MY BABIES WERE BORN ABSOLUTLY PERFECT AND ARE THE SMARTEST CHILDREN IN THERE SCHOOL THEY ARE 5 AND 6 NOW THEY ARE MORE THEN HEALTHY I WAS ON 100 MG WITH BOTH AND NOOOOO WITHDRAWEL SYMTOMS SO ITS BS IT DEPENDS ON THE BABY AND THE MOTHER SO PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW THE FACTS B4 TALKIN BS.... PLUS IF JUST THE FATHER IS ON METHADONE THAT WONT AFFECT THE BABY AT ALL.... I AM IN THE MEDICAL FIELD AND KNOW EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW DUE TO THE FACT BOTH MY CHILDREN WERE BORN WHILE I WAS ON METHADONE AND ALSO I HAD TO LEARN EVERYTHING DUE TO ME WANTING TO GET OFF AND WORKING IN THE MEDICAL FIELD WHICH I AM NOW DOING!!! STOP SCARING THIS POOR GIRL CAUSE ALL YOU PEOPLE OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW JACK SH***TT

Hi dear, im in the same situation as u. Looking at some living examples out there the wives stil give birth to a healthy baby. so no worries. if u thk there is somethg wrong, do consult ur gynea.