My boyfriend just had a son. His ex girlfriend, the babies mother, was being treated at a clinic for heroin addiction. They were treating her with Methadone. Obviously, the baby was born addicted. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about it b/c she was reporting everything to her doctor. She has no intentions on staying clean. She has made jokes about her drug use, and she doesn't even go to the hospital to see her son everyday. I think it's disgusting. Can anyone tell me what we can expect when the baby comes home? The babies mother said they will be keeping him in the hospital for 4-8 weeks. After he is finished with withdrawls (to even talk about this infant having withdrawls breaks my heart) what can we expect? Will he still struggle developmentally? What are our the fathers chances of getting custody if she doesn't stay clean? I know you may be thinking it's none of my business, but I love my boyfriend dearly and his ex girlfriend can be such a terrible person sometimes. I'm a mother myself, and I am trly just concerned for the baby. Thank you for any help.

The baby will undergo withdrawal symptoms of a severe nature. Once he is discharged from the hospital, he may still experience breathing abnormalities, making SIDS more likely. Impaired motor inhibition (uncontrolled movement), behaviour abnormalities, and mental retardation are possible, though not a certainty.

If you can prove your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend does not have a great interest in the well-being of this baby, and in addition is unfit to take care of the baby, you stand a good chance of winning a suit for custody. The fact that she has started methadone treatment could count for you or against you, since methadone is generally not started during pregnancy. Unfortunately, in family law the courts will usually side with the mother regardless of who is the more able parent, if there is not an extreme difference. Your boyfriend will need to clean up any spots on his record (criminal record, angry exes, unexplained unemployment periods, etc.) as well as apply for full custody pending the results of the custody hearing. You will want to hire a good lawyer.

Good luck!

I wanted to reassure you as long as the only thing wrong with the baby is withdrawal he will be o.k. My son is 23 months old was born addicted to methadone. He is so smart, lovable, no ill affects from the methadone. I know alot of babies born addicted to methadone. They are all healthy, no mental challenges. With the right love patience he will be o.k. If the mother isnt serious and you are willing to be there please do. When my son was in the nicu i was there everyday when I left I called every hour. they need patience during there withdrawal.