Just to fill you in I was very addicted to Oxycodone, I used it recreationally, snorting a couple 30 mg "blues" a few times a day until I started losing all ways of means which resulted in scraping money together to get 1 or 2 of them and barely getting by, sometimes being in withdraw for 2 days before I got something. I was using to get by, not to get high. I was at my rock bottom and wanted help and by the grace of God my aunt, who wasn't on speaking terms with me, called me and offered to let me come work for her on a "trial basis" at the business her and my uncle own, if I did well she would let me work longer. She let me stay out in her house which was about 45 mins away from where I lived and when I told her I had a pill problem she took me to a fancy psychiatrist that prescribed me suboxone. I had to see him twice a month, at $125 a pop + cost of prescription and she took care of the bill. About a week after all this had started I started to realize I hadn't had a period in a while, which for me was always a common side effect of using those pills, but also that I was nauseous, which is also a side effect of being in withdraw and I often was before. Needless to say I found out I was pregnant about a week into my Suboxone treatment and found out much later then most women do, here it was 2 weeks into January and the last time I slept with my ex bf was October.. the psychiatrist wanted to keep my on the Suboxone explaining that it is very possible that I may still be on the Suboxone when I had the baby and he could be in withdraw. Even though I wanted to be off of it before he was born, the Dr. did not want me to stress it and said we would do a steady taper, basically he would give me my 2 weeks of meds and I would decide if I wanted to take less. If I did but felt withdraw then there would be extra to compensate. The doctor made no big deal to me at all that I was on Suboxone he made me feel like it was very common when I started doing research and reading that Methadone was tested and safe for pregnancy and there was no certainty about Suboxone  it threw me off but I still trusted in my doctor. I was pushing myself pretty hard to take as little as possible so I could reach my goal of being off before labor. Eventually things started going sour with my aunt who suddenly couldn't afford to send me to see the Dr anymore, and since she was paying me so little ($150 a wk for full time) I couldn't afford him not with a baby on the way, I had to use my Medicaid and go to a methadone clinic, I tried everything and this was a last resort, so at 33 weeks pregnant and being on Suboxone for 20 weeks or so, they put me on a very small dose of Methadone to match what I was taking in Suboxone, I was down to 2 mg of Suboxone and they started me at 8 mg of Methadone which made me feel withdraw so I eventually got up to 11 mg. And I am now 37 wks. Basically I've been getting scared that I've done the wrong thing. I don't feel as good on the Methadone as I did the Suboxone, sometimes I feel slight withdraw but really don't want to ask to be put on anymore... anyways, if anyone has stories of their own or can give me any info from personal experience or just what they know about this type of thing, any comments are very appreciated!

Hi honey! As a former addict of Oxycocet, I can TOTALLY relate to your fight! When I was going through the process of getting of this stuff, Suboxone was not approved yet. So I went on Methadone and eventually switched and got off of them all together! This isn't about quitting before the baby is born - as you have less that 3 weeks to go. IT's more about letting ALL the doctors know that your baby WILL be born with the shakes - there is no doubt about it - what will happen is they will just watch your baby, and monitor the oxygen levels, and release him when he is no longer showing signs of withdrawl - which go through them quite quickly! NOW do you intend to breast feed? IF you are on a low dose of Methadone by the time the baby is born and after it is advised to STILL breastfeed - as the belief is the benefits of breast milk FAR out weigh the little bit of methadone the baby is getting through the breast milk! And GOOD FOR YOU for making it down to methadone - you are doing your best for this baby and you should be commended for this! I don't know you but I am VERY proud that you have done all of this = with all of the stresses that have been going on with you! and I KNOW you will continue the battle and WILL win - for your sake and the baby's sake! When you and the baby are sent home you will probably have to be followed - as sometimes it takes 2 - 4 weeks for withdrawls to show up in the baby! BUT most do happen in the hospital! Just be open and honest with the doctors - they will know that you have come SO far, and make arrangements for after the baby is born!

im literally going through this right now. im 4 months pregnant and have been on suboxin the whole time. im scared that it will cause birth problems, but have heard that detoxing can be worse for your baby. i dont like the idea of going on methadone bc that drug scares me. its so easy to get hooked on

u should stop taken all drugs when pregant wean yourself off iys b.s for anyone to say i cant or it will hurt the baby ,see i would rather my baby die knowing i got off the drug then staying on them and it died ,get a life its b.s

You would rather your baby die? Seriously? I'm sorry, but that's a very ignorant statement. I was pregnant 8 years ago with my first (and only) child. At the time I learned I was pregnant, I had been on methadone (and opiate free) for only about 4 months. I was terrified of what would happen to my baby. Fortunately, I was only on about 30 mg of methadone. I was told by numerous doctors that if I quit cold turkey I could lose my unborn child. I stayed on a low dose of methadone and my son was born healthy with very little withdrawal symptoms. They kept him in the NICU for a week to monitor him just in case, but we took him home after only a week. He's 8 years old now and I've been off of methadone for two years. I'd hate to think that I wouldn't have this wonderful life with my son because I read some stupid, insensitive comment somewhere.
To anybody else in this situation, the lower you can get your dose, the better. I heard a million different stories about babies being in withdrawal for 6 months or CPS taking the baby away. Don't listen to this stuff, it will only drive you crazy. Talk to your doctor and your counselor. If you're on a low dose and have your life together, you'll be just fine.