I had only a 0.8x1.0cm prolactinoma in 2008 and it was announced to be disolved on my last MRI,which was in 2009. I was treated with brimocriptine. My questions are, Can cancer appear later on,even though the tumor was said to be noncancerous,and was said to be disolved?,can it recurr without the same kind of symptoms orignally placed? ( lactating,nonmenstrating). Can a hormone disorder evolve,even though the prolactoma is gone?

I do not have insurance currently due to pre existing conditions,so i cant get an MRI.

Thank you ,any information would be appreciated.

julie

Hi there! I found your questions quite interesting so I did a small research on the web. I also had a tumor, but it was in my thyroid gland and it was malignant. Now it is gone for six years, and my doctors say that I'm "safe" now. I don't think you should be concerned since yours was benign and it's gone. Some authorities reserve the term "benign" for tumors which rarely or never give rise to cancer. In some cases, certain "benign" tumors may later give rise to malignant cancers, which result from additional genetic changes in a subpopulation of the tumor's neoplastic cells. Although a benign tumor can continue to grow, the cells do not spread from the original site. Many benign tumors do not need to be treated at all. By definition, a benign tumor does not grow in an unlimited, aggressive manner, does not invade surrounding tissues, and does not spread to non-adjacent tissues. Pituitary tumors are either secreting (producing hormones) or non-secreting tumors (not producing hormones). Secreting tumors can release excess amounts of any of the pituitary hormones, and are named after the hormone that is being over-produced, for example, a prolactin-secreting tumor. I'm not an expert, but I doubt that a hormone disorder can evolve since your prolactoma is gone. I'm not familiar with that kind of tumor, do you take any medications now? There's no need for hormone replacement therapy or anything similar? I do have to take the hormone replacement therapy for the rest of my life since my thyroid is gone along with my cancer.

Thank you for your reply. Yes unfortunately I take lithium because of my bipolar and I know it has long term effects oon the thyroid,or rather that it is capable of doing so. My friend who also is a nurse thinks I may have hyperthyroidism because of the symptoms ive been having. Though my symptoms have not been as noticable now that im staying home. (sudden slowed heart rate,fatigue,cant keep weight on) I need to see an endocrinologist,but cant right now,unless i could qualify for medicaid,I havent gone that route yet.?
but like i said the symptoms arent as bad,now that i stay home and take time to do whatever chores at my own pace.
Doctor said back in 2008 i would never be able to have kids because of the pituitary gland tumor,even if it was disolved. So i wondered why that such a benign tumor could cause permenet prolactin secretion damamage?
So your cancer is gone and thyroid? or you need replacement therapy because of the cancer?

Oh, I would never imagine that the pituitary gland tumor could affect your fertility. I'm so sorry... Hormones secreted from the pituitary gland help control breast milk production by producing prolactin, so the smallest damage of the pituitary gland could affect it. It must've been damaged in some way by your 0.8x1.0cm prolactinoma. Average size of pituitary gland is a size of a pea an it weighs only 0.5 g (0.02 oz.). Your friend might be right about the hyperthyroidism, these are the symptoms. You could check your hormones. As for my thyroid, it is completely removed because of the size of my tumor which was 3x3cm, so it was quite big, and my doctor didn't want to risk by removing only one part of it. I need replacement therapy because I need all these hormones that would be normally produced by thyroid gland, since I don't have thyroid gland any more I need to take synthetic thyroid hormones in order to live normally. I hope it won't affect my fertility, my doctor only said that I should wait for couple of years until my body get back to normal since I've been treated with radioactive iodine... But that's a whole another story :-) I hope you get well soon.

The very fact that a pituitary benign tumour causes secretion of hormones (it's the master gland for hormones) means that is causes a hormone imbalance. When one hormone is out of sorts it affects other hormones too. It is a very intricate system. That is why trying to find the root cause of the health issue is so important in the first place. This means curing rather than band aiding the problem.