I would like to hear what pheochromocytoma is. I went to see a doc for I have serious abdominal pain lately so he recommended me having some blood test as well as CT scan. I am now 42 and I was active and healthy whole my life but now besides this abdominal pain I have persistent high blood pressure and rapid hearth rate but also severe headache especially when I am physically active or after lifting some heavy stuff. Anyway I ended up with pheochromocytoma diagnose and I am now prescribed alpha blockers and afterwards I am suppose to take also some beta blockers agents and am wondering how these agents would help me dealing with this pheochromocytoma condition? Thanks!

I also was diagnosed with pheochromocytoma 3 years ago and in my case it was hereditary -I found out lately my grandma had it also-but also there are some other causes of pheochromocytoma such as neurofibromatosis and VHL-Von Hippel-Lindau disease. Anyway pheochromocytoma means you have tumor of adrenal glands-there are two of them above each kidney and- which is usually benign and doesn't spread to other parts of the organism but still needs to be treated for it affects a lot blood pressure making it high an making your heart beats faster which is not good for it may cause forming of the blood clots which usually results in stroke or heart attack. Those symptoms you have especially regarding hypertension and rapid heart rate including the abdominal pain you have are caused by the fact that under this pheochromocytoma condition your adrenal glands are producing too much of certain hormones. I also was prescribed first alpha blockers that are about to fix your high blood pressure problem by relaxing certain muscles and keeping your small blood vessels remained open so after your blood pressure is back to somewhat normal levels you should start taking beta blockers to reduce your heart rate and in my case I had this alpha and beta blockers therapy just to get prepared for the laparoscopic surgery and I recovered very fats after this though I needed to take some hormones also after this surgery for I needed to replace them but I still have one adrenal gland left and am doing fine.