I am not a biology major, or major on anything..haha.  But I just had a question about the advantages of rapidly acting insulin to human insulin.  What are the differences between the two anyway?  I know that our bodies make insulin so that is a fact but why would this "fast acting insulin" be something we need?  It seems odd that there is this type of insulin, slow acting insulin... what is human insulin?  Is it slow acting then?  Does anybody know about insulin and why it works the way it does?  I heard that now days they make insulin from a laboratory and it doesn't come from pigs or cows anymore. I wonder why they started doing that?  Isn't it cheaper to get it from livestock than making it synthetically?  Wouldn't it be more "natural" than made like a chemical? 

A decade or so ago, insulin was from pigs and used as medicinal insulin therapy.  However, with the advances in medicine, scientists are now able to produce insulin to work by releasing its effects very quickly so that it covers any hyperglycemia that may occur during a meal.  They also produce insulin that is manipulated to release very slowly over a 24-hour period so that it covers basal needs of the diabetic.  The different types of insulin make it easier for health professionals to help diabetics cover their unique needs.  So if a diabetic tends to be hyperglycemic throughout the day but even more so during meals, than a long-acting insulin will be given once a  day plus a sliding scale short-acting insulin for meal times.  Even if “livestock” insulin was cheaper, laboratory insulin would be more effective for diabetes needing tighter control on their blood glucose.  With the heavy use of antibiotics in livestock, it would be better not to have the risk of transferring it to a diabetic’s body.