I am to start on a pre-insulin medication and I am type 2 diabetic.  How does this stuff work?  Isn't just insulin in tablet form?  Why can't it be this way all the time, I don't want to stick myself with needles.  I would rather take insulin pills.  Anyway, what pre-insulin medication do you guys take? I will be going on Metformin. 

The medication you will be taking is not insulin.  Insulin cannot be taken by mouth because it is destroyed by our digestive juices.  The only way it can go into the body and make it to the bloodstream is by insulin injections.  The medication you will be taking by mouth is a pill that will work to stimulate your pancreas to produce more of its own insulin.  This is a better way of getting insulin since it is your own.  There can be a risk of hypoglycemia if too much insulin gets out and takes up too much of the glucose in your blood.  Metformin, and drugs like it, are prescribed for diabetics before insulin is ever introduced.  It is inevitable in the near (or far) future that the pancreas completing gives out and the body will need prescription insulin.  This will be determined by your doctor as far as how much you will need, what type of insulin, and how often you will take it. 

I always thought that the oral medications were insulin in pill form. Now I know why people go on shots. lol So now I understand the whole thing about what happens when oral meds are taken. It's interesting how they each do different things. It's too bad that insulin couldn't be taken by mouth. Many people do not like shots. Maybe someday they will think of a way for diabetics to take insulin in pill form.