I am wondering about a friend of mine... she is type 1 diabetic and she does pretty well but I have seen her have a couple of hypos in the time I've known her, which is about 2 years.  She is wanting to have a baby and I am worried about her.  Should she be having a baby with this type of problem?  Wouldn't it be harmful to be taking insulin shots and carrying a baby?  I would think this would not be a possibility but I don't want to hurt her feelings because she is so happy about the thought.  I wonder whether a pregnancy would do her harm .  Does anyone know about the complications of a pregnancy while being diabetic?

Your friend will be fine if she wants a baby.  Today, there is such an advancement in antenatal and neonatal care, that even type 1 diabetics can carry a baby successfully.  This will not hurt her as an individual either.  She would need to be on insulin through a pump during her pregnancy.  Insulin is a natural substance (though synthetically made in the laboratory nowadays) so it will not harm the baby.  You should be there to support your friend when she does have a baby and have fun with her as you shop for baby clothes. :)

My sister was fine having her baby 2 years ago.  She has had juvenile diabetes since she was 5 and she has been doing pretty good with it.  I wouldn’t worry about your friend if she is healthy and does her diet like she is supposed to.  Don’t put a damper on her happiness so don’t tell her your concerns or worries.  She probably has done her research and knows what to expect if she gets pregnant. Just be a good friend for her.