I have another change of insulin question.  What happens when a diabetic has to change their insulin therapy from taking short-acting insulin to taking long-acting insulin?  I don't understand how the insulin can work slowly over time and work for 24 hours after it has been injected?  If you took insulin from an animal or a human and injected it, it would be working right away in the body, so how can you use insulin and have it last for so many hours at a time?  To me that doesn't make any sense.  I can see that some pills have a slow release type of mechanism like a coating on the outside of the medication that would keep the pill from dissolving right away, but it can't be done with an injectable med.  If there is anybody out there that has the answer to this, it would be great! 

There is a way that scientists can do this in the laboratory.  The insulin is designed to release slowly in the patient’s body providing slow, continual release of its benefits. The way it is done is that the solution has tiny “capsules” of insulin that open at different intervals.  This results in a continual amount of insulin that is available in the bloodstream at a time.  This is the benefit of having laboratory-developed insulin. It is very interesting how this is done.  It has helped so many diabetics since this type of insulin had been developed and they continue to develop new types. 

Some people take additional insulin (short-acting) to address other insulin needs during the day.  When a diabetic has a tendency to have higher blood sugars at certain times, like at meal time, this type of insulin will be given.  I hope that I have been able to answer your question.