Hello. I am a guy 43 years old and I am an alcoholic. My father had a history of problems with kidneys, and I was thinking that maybe he has passed it to me. Plus, I am beginning to think that my alcoholism is a contributing factor in the story. Could you give me some information about alcohol's effect on kidneys?

Alcohol can cause many different types of damage to your kidneys. In best case it overworks the urinary tract. It alters kidney ability to function. It can cause infections of the urinary tract, which you know that is inconvenient. Not to mention that you already have genetic predisposition. I would recommend quitting.

Since you are aware that you have problem with alcohol I don’t understand that you don’t have desire to quit. My father was an alcoholic too and I saw what that had done to our family so I never considered even to start drinking and my brother is sharing the same opinion. it is wrong to say it is in our genes because every individual is capable to decide for itself and I have decided that genes are not going to ruin my life or life of my future family.

Nowadays there are a lot of clinics and good methods which can help quitting this awful habit so I would recommend you to try it before it becomes too late and you seriously endanger your health.