Day 3 no alcohol and feeling pretty good! The withdraws were not as bad as i imagined them to be. for 10 years i drank 1.5 liters or more wine a night. Or a Table bottle of wine per say. Sometimes a weekend bender with bourbon, beer and wine. I went to the Doctor and discussed my alcoholism. He gave me options on treatment and found my best course was 7 days of vitamins Bcomplex and a taper regimen of Valium. 5mg twice a day. i have only been taking 5mg at night just to sleep and ward off nightmares and panic attacks. wake up feeling fresh and the the Bcomplex have been feeling great through out the day! The shakes are minimal, the agitation is minimal, and the sleep is still somewhat difficult but the Valium sure does make it easier. All in all is going well thus far. I recommend those trying to quit drinking, go see a doctor for help. there are medications out there that really help. Lastly i think after detox is over it will take alot of lifestyle changes and strong will to just say no. Somewhere out there, there is someone who loves you and want to see you well, they deserve it. in my case i want to be a non alcoholic father for my children, i love them and they deserve better out of me. Will update in a few days. Good Luck everyone!

Hi you have done the right thing by going to your Doctor, withdraw is not easy ,just hold on there , its the first drink that does the damage , you can PM me if you want a chat , Please take care , Ian

Porkchop, congratulations on your 3 days!!! The first three days are the hardest. It's all one day at a time. It sounds as though you know that you're an alcoholic. That's the hardest step at all.

While I applaud you for taking the physical route--You need to fix your insides too or else no amount of vitamins are going to save your life. I'm assuming you know your life is on the line and that's what prompted to seek help. I have been in recovery for 19 months. 19 MONTH WITHOUT A SINGLE DROP OF ALCOHOL!!!! If I can do it, you most CERTAINLY can! But you have to figure out WHY you needed to drink a 1.5 liters of numbness a day.

Alcoholism is a mental illness as much as a physical addition. My route to sobriety happened to be AA, yours absolutely could be some other awesome path. But if you don't get that inside gook out (betcha there is a lot in there if you're up to 1.5 liters!) no amount of vitamins will cure that. If by chance you CAN stay sober without some form of therapy (doubt it, especially if this if your first attempt), you will still be miserable. Alcohol is but a symptom of our deeper issues. Don't worry, it's not as stupid/scary as you think. I promise you. And I didn't mean to put words in your mouth but if you do think it's stupid, you're just scared, trust me!

I've been in your shoes my friend. I am so proud to be able to say I am in my own, awesome, HAPPY shoes now. And most importantly, you are not ALONE! There are 165 MILLION alcoholics worldwide. And those are the LUCKY ones that get the chance, that second chance to learn that we can change.  I also hope you find a great, new pair for yourself! I truly hope the best for you and your sobriety. Your sons deserve the best dad they can have, and you obviously love them so be the best dad you can be and get to the root of those issues.

I have a life that, not only would have been absolutely unattainable to me, but that I would have shunned (because I was an ASSSSSHOLLLLLEEEE). Life doesn't stop. Things happen and I'm not perfect. But for the MOST part? My man, life is happy, joyous, and free. I really hope for you the same.

Congrats ..for you are now a alcohol free person. I know that its very difficult to leave any addiction but you did it so nicely!!
I think your story may help to more alcoholic addicted persons.

Well, 7 days alcohol free, so is my wife. She decided to jump on the wagon with me too. The first days were kinda rough. No sleep, agitations and slight tremers. I think we may have been some of the more lucky ones who were not so far into alcoholism where quitting would have been more difficult and dangerous. I won't say it hasnt been a walk in the park but what I am more scared of is sticking with it. I think a program or social group may be needed to sustain sobriety. It would be so easy to walk out the door and buy a 12 pack or bottle of wine right now but I know I shouldn't. Like mentioned above, making it through detox is only a baby step into learning how to adapt and change a lifestyle we all have lived for so long. I have a follow up visit with my physiologist tomorrow for him to see how I am doing and to maybe start to ween me off of the valiume and start me on an anti craving drug. He has also been talking with me about my personal life and getting to know me to better understand what makes me drink. He has been a great help and even called to check up on me thanksgiving day to make sure I was doing ok. I think once I finish my detox stage, he may refute me to a social group for support. As I type this on my Droid phone before bed, just want to say I feel very positive right now. And have no desire to go back to alcohol right now. On a more personal note I would like to add the wife made the most amazing love last night sober. I actually remember the moment this time Haha! Ok off to bed. For work in the AM. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support! Will report in a few days. :)

Still Drink free :) Feeling pretty good too! Sleep is returning to normal. I have been exercising and trying to diet properly. I think the most difficult part behind quitting drinking is changing of a lifestyle we have all grown accustom to living for so long.

Went to some friends house the other night to hang out around their new backyard fire pit/BBQ patio thingy they just built. they all drank around me and the wife and i forget how annoying people drinking are, and these are people who i am very close to and love. OMGosh it was annoying. As the night progressed, the conversations started turning mumbling boring. The Wife and I were proud of ourselves being sober and still showing up to the invite. Our friends knew we had quit drinking and had lots of questions, we just said because we wanted to, and please don't be modest and not drink around us.

Porkchop

Porkchop I can't thank you enough for sharing your journey. I'm currently drinking about the same as you were and have been for a number of years. I know the cause of my drinking was being in a 13yr abusive relationship with an alcoholic, we were going through 4 litre cask of wine a night.

I know I need to stop before I ruin my health and after reading your story I'm off to see my doctor as soon as the clinic is open and will for once be honest about how much I drink!

First you have decide quite alochol and then after you have go for some rehabe centre.