Hi, I am 52 years old and in a bit of dilemma? Due to the increased work, I have to admit that stress level has increased significantly and instead of falling asleep easily, I have to deal with insomnia now. So, I am thinking about chronic insomnia treatment. A friend told me to try with Stilnox. Is using that drug OK for an ex alcoholic?

Well, this is not what I would call a mild tea. This medication belongs to a group of nervous system depressants and that means it has its side effects. And it is possible that since you have been using alcohol in past, your liver could not withstand easily this drug. Perhaps a consultation with a doctor would be in place first.

Definitely talk to a doctor about it and tell him about your previous addiction. Zolpidem (Stilnox, Ambien) works by releasing GABA in your central nervous system, and so does alcohol. If you're in active treatment for you addiction (something than you need to do if you want to stay sober) and your doc says it's OK, then I might consider it. It probably should be avoided though, as it is addictive and has a similar mechanism to alcohol. The herb Valerian would be a much safer alternative, and is actually quite effective as a sedative. Still, talk to your doctor regardless.