My husband is an alcoholic and has been for over 20 yrs, although it has got progressively worse over the last 3 yrs. He has had bouts of being violently sick over the last few months, and of course blames it on the food that he eats. although all the family eat the same and are fine. he has started bleeding from his back passage what does this mean?

He's been an alcoholic for 20years and refuses to see that the alcohol is whats making him sick. I could really use someone to talk to who is going through the same thing. I have stuck by this man and dealt with his mood swings from the alcohol and have the bunt of his harrassing statements. I refuse to deal with his harrassment any longer. If I say anything he becomes more beligerent. Help

well Sezp1972, I hope you and your husband have by now figured out what is wrong with him. I just stumbled upon your question and thought i'd add my 2 cents.

It could be quite serious. Is it a large amount of blood coming out when he bleeds? is it bright red, or dark brown or black?

chronic alcoholism, especially over a long period of time, is VERY VERY bad for the body, especially the parts that come in direct contact with the alcohol, and those that metabolize it (liver). I'm sure you (and your husband) know that already.

He probably has a severely irritated stomach & intestinal lining. But he could have ulcers in his intestines, he could have stomach or colon cancer. Or it may not be serious - he could just have hemmarhoids.

regardless, though, he must stop drinking or he will die either directly or indirectly from it sooner or later.

make sure he eats healthy, mild food. if he stops eating, and keeps drinking - the end is not far off.

Dear Sezp 1972

What other symptoms does he have? Does he vomit blood? is he losing / gaining weight? Does he get stomach pain? Why does he not see a doctor?
Maybe ulcerative colitus. Maybe on the road to pancreatitis and / or diabetes. All of which are terrifying diseases. Diseases which an alcoholic cannot cope with. Because they have to stop drinking. Not cut down. Stop.And when you ask him to stop ( because he feels his doctor doesnt know what hes talkaing about) because hes frightening you and the kids and he must choose, he will choose the booze. The only person who can help him is himself.
I can imagine that you need someone to talk to. I was terrified when my ex husband became sick. I didnt see it coming. I didnt get the bit where it stopped being a heavy social thing and became a serious problem until he got pancreatitis. And diabetes. And ulcerative colitis. And blackouts.
I asked him to choose in the end. He didnt choose me. He chose the bottle and I walked.
But neither of us came out of it unscathed. The futility of it. The guilt that I wouldnt / couldnt stay with someone who was prepared to kill themselves for the sake of a drink. I would have done anything, anything at all I would have given anything and everything I owned to make him well but I couldnt. And he wouldnt. Its been five years and my gorgeous party loving ex is long gone replaced with a shuffling old man (hes only 45) who will still not stop drinking.
I wish you all the luck and strength in the world.

Hey my dad had the EXACT same thing and more and he just passed away you need to take him to the doctors it's his organs and kidney

before its too late ma'am bring him to the doctor or consult to the expert. Read book's that related to your problem now like what i do when i have problem.. You are in the right forum ma'am.. we will help you.

**edited by moderator**

My dad passed away in November after bleeding out from his intestines. He was an alcoholic for most of my life, but never overtly drunk until the last few years. He developed liver problems and his belly swelled up to the size and hardness of a basketball. He had to do paracentesis (sp?) to get it down. Then he started drinking more, his doctors told him to stop and that he was going to die. He was driving drunk, and on the way home in a taxi from being processed at a police station he stopped at a liquor store.

I'm not sure why this happens, I guess it's like smoking. I don't do either, but it's obviously something quite powerful.

I'm left with 33 years of memories and a garage full of his stuff.

Sorry for you husband become an alcoholic well try this free ebook it is all about My Husband Was An Alcoholic. Inspirational story sharing idea and advice, and you can share your story too.

darling, my father is in alcoholic and my fiancee is an alcoholic as well. there is a disease and it is sirrhosis of the liver. it is life threatening and will kill eventually. i does take about 10-15 years of drinking to really take affect but when it hits it hurts. my fiancee and i sat down today to talk about it and is checking into a program next week for the 2nd time. the main thing to do in an alcoholic relationship is either a) stick by their side and help them and get in their face and tell them sensitive subjects, as if he has kids tell him that thats not what theyd like or if he doesnt have kids that its tearing you, yourself apart and can not handle it and will leave (tease the mind). or b) sign him up for an intervention and hope for the best. if there is one thing i have learned in my life its that people of alcoholics are not alone, theres always somebody out there that has something to say on the subject. you are a great human being and deserve the best and i know that under all the anger and hurt hes got covered up with alcohol can be a great lover to you. just make sure to listen to him and not cut him off when hes ready to talk. if you need more help

i hope this helps dear.

with the mind and heart all things are possible.

my husband is an alcoholic we have been married 21 years and have 3 children 2 still at home. Three months ago I left him my daughters with me and our youngest 18 is with him. He keeps calling says he cant quit without me but i did that before :'( :'(

%-) %-) %-) and when I went back he was sneak drinking iguess for a couple months then it just escallated to where it was before. I stayed and put up with it for 10 more years and thats where i am today. He also has bouts of severe vomiting and rectal bleeding. Am I wrong to be scared to go bak to all that on a promise again. My life for once in a long time is stress free maybe iam being selfish but i cant help it

Hi Im new here, I have many concerns about my husband of 16yrs. He too is a alcholic and his stomach has not swollen out but he had a bout last week of seizures and vometing and passing blood from his bowels. He is a functional alcholic. Now it has been a week that he has not had a bowel movement. Im not sure how long a perosn can go before the have more damage internally. They did a test in the hospital he was found with 2 ulcers and gastritis. Help I need a friend and advice. He refuses to go to his regular Doctor.
THank you
Bon

I am a recovering alcoholic and just recently had achildhood friend die from "bleeding out" (his father also died of the same thing 10 years ago).  Ultimately, you cannot make someone stop drinking or see the light.  In my own case, I used it to deal with emotional issues I didn't want to face.  However, I finally realized that getting drunk was not helping the situation but was instead making it worse  Because after the drinking was done and whatever repurcussions I had to deal with because of the drinking (DUI, jail, loss of job, family, etc..), I still had the same original problem to face only now it was complicated by drinking.

The best person to talk to an alcoholic is another alcoholic!  Preferablely a recovering one (smile) 

Hi 
I am new here and just read these posts. They are describing my partner, he is an alcoholic of over 20years. He has had other addictions too, he stops one and replaces it with another. Over the last 3 or so years he has gone down big time. He is bleeding from the anus, yes he has haemorroids (sp?) but he said it was separate and flowing red, he also as Sezp1972 wrote refusing to eat the food I make as he says it is poisoned and making him sick (though I point out we all eat it, I take his to work for lunch and I am fine). I know his liver is shot, but he wont get the rest of the tests done (he had a blood test) he is now talking about suicide.....his mood swings are awful and worse at night. He has lost weight, still has a slight swollen gut, his face is sunken in at the cheeks, he doesnt work...
Yep I want to leave but I know he will kill himself and I cant do that, I dont want our kids to have that burden.
All I want is a quiet calm social life.

my husband is 49 yrs old and he has been bleeding from his back passage for a good few weeks, he is also an alcoholic. i took him doctors but he wouldnt have the tests done. it is destroying me big time. he is verbally abusive and all i want for him is help........ he has been an alcoholic since he was 17 yrs old. he thinks he has bowel cancer. he bleeds everytime he goes to the toilet. any ideas what could be wrong. i really cant carry on the way its going... thanks

From the daughter of an alcoholic...that said she would never drank any alcohol. I think this person is mislead. You say you will never marry anyone that dranks, you will never be like that. It is so easy when we are young...we have not face adulthood yet. Even then, many adults do not choose to drink! There are some that do, and do with grace. Then there is us...we just can't. Our hearts are in it. We set out with the best intentions. We really do not want to hurt anyone. Then we do. Lord help us, we do. I say....Lord help us - because it US that needs his help to overcome this disease. Now - to the ones in a relationship: the one who is an alcoholic is the ONLY ONE that can help his/her self. You must take care of your family. I know this....my mom took care of us. They are still married. I thank God that she put her children first. To this day we love both our parents. I know where the strenght of the family came from/ God/Mom.