Okay, here's my story.  I promised I would come back and write this up because this is where I diagnosed the problem I was having and I owe it to everyone who may be suffering from the same thing.

The first time I remember becoming aware that something was wrong was about 2002.  My wife and I were on a driving vacation and she was asleep in the back seat as I drove across Arizona.  I became aware that I was sub-consciously lightly rubbing and pressing down on my xiphoid process (xp).  It wasn't a pain really; I was just aware of "something", like heaviness.  In 2005 I told my internist about the pain and he asked when it had started and I said 3 or 5 years ago.  He told me right then, "Well one thing about it, something you've had for 5 years probably isn't going to kill you."  He advised getting scoped but it wasn't that bad of a pain so I ignored it. 

By 2007, we'd moved to Dallas and the pain started getting worse.  I was starting to actively try to figure out what was wrong and I found a co-worker who said he had the exact same symptoms as me.  (I had a pain that seemed to radiate from or underneath the xp.  It would make my ribs hurt as well as my lower back.  Most of the time however it was just a dull, continual pain that could be rather intense and it interrupted my ability to think.  I'm a software engineer and sit most days at my desk working on conceptual and physical designs of software.  Later the pain would be so bad that I started missing work.  I missed 7 straight days last March and ended up going to the E.R. because I could not escape the pain and talked myself into thinking it could be a heart attack.  At its worst, my hands would shake so bad that I couldn't type.)  My friend told me he a procedure called a "Nissen Fundoplication" to repair a hiatal hernia and it apparently "Fixed" him.  I called that doc and had him look at me.  He had me do a barium swallow and an endoscopy and told me I indeed had a hiatal hernia which needed surgery to fix so I let him do it.  The "Nissen Fundoplication", did absolutely nothing to alleviate that pain.  I knew it didn't work before I even got out of the hospital.   So, my new internist in Dallas said that she would get to the bottom of it all and sent me to another G.I. doc who scoped me again (top and bottom) and announced I had Crohn's disease.  Now I'm taking meds to treat the Crohns.  Again it did nothing to alleviate the pain.   (btw.  The only thing that I found (other than hospital morphine) that helped my xp pain was the drug, Lryica.  My doc's at least gave me a script of Lyrica to help knock the pain back a bit.)  All this time I described the pain the same way.  "It feels like it's my xp."  No doc had yet to even try to manipulate my xp in examination.  That's when I found this site I'm posting to now.  It could have been another site because I think I found 2 or 3 different xp pain sites on the net and I intend to post this on every one I find. 

I read on here about a procedure to remove your xp.  They said to find a thoracic surgeon and they might be able to remove it.  So that's what I did.  I called up a certain thoracic surgeon in Ft. Worth and made an appointment.  He walked in the room and I told him my story.  He had me lay back on the table and while he pressed down on my xp he had me do a sit-up.  It shot severe pain throughout my whole body and I almost cried but I could have kissed him. He was the first doc that had even demonstrated the source of the pain.  He said that it felt like it was damaged.  I had an MRI after that and on May29, 2012, I had my xp removed.  It took him less than 15 minutes and later he told me it was obviously damaged and pretty much just fell apart when he removed it.  Anyway, that absolutely fixed my problem.  Today is June 22 and I feel better than I've felt in years and years.  All of my pain is finally gone.  From 1st symptom to diagnosis to remedy it took me 10 years.  That's my story.  I'll be happy to reply to anyone interested.  

I have a nodule right next to my Xiphoid, and 13 years later I have yet to get a doctor to accept my reality. Some say it is a theory, and others friend are supportive, yet the medical field is just cruel. I think if they remove the nodule, my condition my get better. My condtion became much worse when I moved to Atlanta. Specially in the winter months. Pain that was LEVEL 10, acute pain, and it even worked its way into my dream sleep. I see my new doctor on the 25th of this month.

I am hoping he will look up new information on the Xiphoid, as it has not been on the internet until this month. All I could find for the last 5 years has been a one paragraph in wikipedia. Yet, it was proof that the XP can cause unrelenting pain. The only medication that was able to subpress my condition was a Fentanyl patch. Yet, in Atlanta they will not let me use it. I had one good doctor, but her friend doctor got angry at me and made her stop treating me.

I never thought of a thoractic doctor? I will mention that when I visit my doctor this week. He said: The pain will not return, yet it has, and it is not even winter yet. It seems the northern weather fronts cause me the most unrelenting and crippling pain. Please keep me informed on your progress and if the pain is still gone?

I have had mutiple issues from a Giant Cell Tumor, to Repetitive work disorders, to being put on SSDI. If I could be fixed. I would be able to type longer for one thing. Yet the migraines, nausea, upper body pain, middle back pain, spine, and I am sure you had all these symptoms. I just find it hard to believe that out of 10 doctors now. Not one is will to even consider it plausable the amount of pain I am living in. I do not even have the proper pain suppression anymore.

This has to be fixed.

I had that surgery at the end of May and now it's Aug. 9th. I'm still pain-free. I have no complaints as far as that xp pain is concerned. I just turned 50 and feel like I'm 60. I still reserve the right to complain about that. Good luck!

Same problem here. Years of discomfort. I have had every test in the book and no physician can find anything wrong. I have a constant "ache" all around my xp. It tends to flair up for a few weeks and then lessen. Manipulating the xp can cause a flair up. The pain also includes a headache behind my eyes, especially when I look up and varying degrees of nausea. I'm at the end of my rope with this and found a thoracic surgeon who is willing to remove my xp.

I hope it works!

Mike
Rochester, NY

I have enjoyed reading your post. My 13 year old daughter has been battling pain in her xp region for nearly a year now. We have been to more doctors than I can count and she has had more tests than anyone should have to go thru. We finally got an appt with a pain clinic this week and when the dr felt of her stomach and could feel and see her heart beating she got concerned. She is the one who has mentioned the xiphoid. We had never even heard of it! We are being sent to a cardiac surgeon next week and we are praying that he will be able to diagnose her problem. Her pain is only in this area, not in her back or shoulders. From what I have been reading that is typical of problems with the xp. Hoping to finally get some answers and get her pain free and back to her old self. How was the surgery for having it removed?

George Washington University Hosp. has a Dr Keith mortman who is a Thoric surgeon and can treat this problem!

Sorry to hear about your 13 years of pain and suffering. I had bypass surgery in March of 2013. That is when my severe xiphoid pain started. It took me one year, many doctor's, many tests, many doctor's telling me they could not help me, Chronic pain, many sleepless nights, lots of crying, no help in sight. Then I found a Thoracic Lung Surgeon, who agreed to do the surgery, Less than 45 minutes, a very small incision, SUCCESS!! No pain now, no pain pills. I have my life back!! Oh, my surgery was March, 2014.

I have updated my condition, I forget how so many have no clue this might be what is wrong with them as very few doctors understand the reality of this pain! There are some updated post, and you can hit the END key on your keyboard, and it will take you the bottom of the page.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Not sure if u ever read this as your was posted a yr ago. My sternum area started swelling and with dull pain not significant. It would only swell when I exert myself like walk, carry heavy bags etc. Same story as you with doctors. I had a sternum xray which came clear. Later as time went by (3mths), the pain felt in the xiphoid process area. When I feel it or press I can feel the Xp bone is hard. Had burping too so doc thinks hernia. Anyway doing an endoscopy next month to check if stomach is ok. I'm fed up of this swelling. Worries me much I'm constantly stressed. Did you have swelling too? Thanks appreciate if info.

I have suffering from excruciating pain at my xyphoid process for over two years and have done extensive testing for hiatal hernia, GERD, etc. pain has extended to thoracic spine and lower back. Chiropractic, massage, acupuncture treatments increase the pain. Would love to know the doctor who performs your surgery and what kind of MRI identified the damaged xyphoid process. Thank you.

Where did you go?