Hi, it took so long for the doctors to find out what is wrong with me, that I started worrying. Yesterday, they finally diagnosed me with thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS). I am glad the waiting is over, but I still don’t know what this condition is. Is there anybody else who suffers from TOS?

I have thoracic outlet syndrome too. It is caused by problems in the nerve route. I was spending most of my time at the computer until this condition appeared. Now, I can’t even type, because it requires me to hold my arms overhead, and that is impossible because of the pain. I lost my job because of thoracic outlet syndrome. Beside pain, I have a cold feeling that radiates down into my hands and fingers, and I often feel stiffness in the same area. I decided to try a physical therapy. I heard it doesn’t help much, but I have nothing to lose. If it really doesn’t help I will try muscle strengthening exercises, postural training and heat treatments with ultrasound.

I am dealing with almost the same thing 1 year later I have left arm pain chest muscle pain with numbness in both fingers I have been going to a chiropractor for almost a year they all tell you something different I have an appointment with a neuromuscilarskeletal doctor IE neurologist specialize in this I am hoping to find out why there is a knot in my left shoulder very painful. They all agree it is a posture shortened muscle issue I will add 6 ekgs before all of this. I am investigating stretching exercises to balance the muscles I too live at my computer at work it is important to get up alot and set up everything so there is no bending reaching slumping get a lumbar pillow and sleep on your back 1 pillow only. there has to be help out there I know it takes a long time to fix and it took a very long time to get here. my e-mail is *** maybe we can share with others and find some answers

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

I also have TOS. I went the route of surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. It took a long time to recover. But most of the pain is gone. I have this in both sides but only had surgery on the left side. I am trying to hold off on the next surgery. But they did recommend having surgery on that side also. If you are not sure what the surgery involves I can fill you in but I would recommend talking to the specialist! Good Luck. %-)

I have been diagnosed by two doctors for having TOS. I am suppose to be getting an MRI next week. My questions is does any know of any specialists in Ca for this? It is being caused by the extra cervical ribs in my neck. The doctor has given me pills for over a year but I rarely take them do the lack of focus they give me and I can not do my job on them. And yet sometime the pain and numbness are so bad I cant work like that either. I have been managing to adjust at work somewhat but I would really like a specialist in Ca who might help me make this go away.

Any advice is welcome.

**edited by moderator**l

Cheers,
April

If you want an awesome specialist try coming to Connecticut. Dr. Robert Lowe, operated to fix the subclavian vein and take out the rib. He is one of the few specialists in the country that performs this procedure. It is generally done by two surgeons (thorasic and vascular). He has actually performed a study on this procedure and presented it in some medical conference. I had the procedure done in March of 2004 and it is fine to this date. Excellent surgeon!!!! Maybe you could contact his office and inquire if he has any recommendations in California.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

WHAT IS INVOLVED?????????????????

My son has this syndrome and I have found a doctor within southern cal that has helped relieve his symptoms.

S. Mirnada

I am looking for a second opinion in S. CALIF for my diagnoisis/treatment. I have been suffering for 14 mo. following a shoulder impingement. They think now that is is just a secondary problem from the forward posture and tight pectoral muscles of TOS. PT is finally focusing on that ....not much relief yet. I use my hands for my occupation so I need to find someone who can work closely with the PT to ensure we get some results or another PT.

I just underwent surgery at UCLA on May 22 to address the debilitating symptoms of TOS that I had been suffering as a result of being rear-ended in 2004. Dr. Hugh Gelabert is a very well-known Vascular Surgeon who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of TOS and I would highly recommend him to anyone in need of such treatment.
I was originally referred to another surgeon who I saw once; I found him to be much less attentive, a bit arrogant and not nearly as experienced as Dr. Gelabert.
I really cannot recommend Dr. Gelabert highly enough. He possesses a wealth of knowledge in this area, he has years of experience, he has an incredible bedside manner and will take you through every step of the process very thoroughly.
Good luck to you!
TKV

I have TOS, which was finally diagnosed after four years of suffering. However, I have two workman compensation cases since 2002 and a great lawyer on my side to fight this as my job (computer work) has caused me to have TOS. Its finally here after four years of hell but I do suffer the pain and the limitations in the arms/shoulders. After a complex MRI by NeoVista/Premier Scan in San Jose, CA (one of the first MRI's to pinpoint TOS and the muscle/tissue damage) I was able to finally get some pain relief using Fentanyl patches through Pain Management. I encourage to also contact Dr. Scott Werden through Premier Scan and he can get you on the right track w/therapy that works. So, please know, Dr. Werden is also helping me w/my attorney if necessary. So, keep fighting for your right to feel good because when no one believes or understands the pain, its hell. But once you are recognized w/ TOS, you can begin a slow recovery.

I am suffering from an injury of possible TOS. Going on four years now. The pain is in my neck,back,left arm,and chest radiating down my arm to my hand. I need more info and feed back from other sufferers.

My pain started when I was 17 (and had just started a job.) I went to many many doctors with diagnoses ranging from Arthritis to "it's all in your head." Finally when I was 21 I went to a doctor and she was determined to find out once and for all what was wrong with me. She sent me to a hospital for x-rays. I received a call the next day stating they found out what was wrong with me. I was so relieved there was a medical cause that I hung up before I could ask what it was. Well, I was born with two extra ribs (cervical - up in my neck.) Further tests proved that these extra ribs were pinching the main nerve that ran down my left arm, causing pain, coldness and numbness which (obviously) worsened when I became upset with the pain (since I tensed up and it pinched the nerve even worse.) I was sent to a heart surgeon who removed the two cervical ribs on my left side (a heart surgeon had to do it because of the manner in which the ribs had to be removed.) That was in 1982. To this day I have never once experienced pain again. I sit at a computer all day at work. I would go through with this surgery 10,000 times over to get the relief that I finally received when the pinched nerve was "released." I still have an extra rib on my right side and the same thing could happen there, but it is highly unlikely since I have never had any problems with my right arm, numbness, etc. But if I do, screw all the tests. I'm going right back to the same doctor with my medical chart and having them remove the extra rib.

Hi im a 14 year old gymnast who was recently diagnosed with TOS. I am having my surgery on both shoulders next week. I hope everything goes as planned.

Hi im a 14 year old gymnast who was recently diagnosed with TOS. Before being diagnosed I went to different doctors for three years and finally a nurologiest found my problem. I am having my surgery on both shoulders next week. I hope everything goes as planned.