Ive been in a car accident and ever since Ive been experiencing pain in my chest and abdomen. After I was checked following the accident everything was fine but I got really scared when this pain started appearing. My doc ordered MRI and found that I have disc herniation at T6-7 T7-8. What I wanted to know is how bad can this be and if I will have any additional problems since I'm an active recreational sportsman and am worried about my future activities. I also heard that an operation may be an option and I am fearing one, I know it would lead to a long recovery and I just cant stand being in one place.

Well, I think that you need to focus on whats best for you and not what you can or can't stand. I'm not trying to preach you or anything but it would be best to do what your doctor suggests now in order to get better sooner. You will not necessarily undergo surgery. Doctors usually first go with conventional treatments avoiding surgeries. Surgery is an option when nothing else helps and your symptoms start getting worse. I suppose your doc will suggest a medical treatment and rehabilitation exercises. I don't know about your symptoms like chest and abdominal pain. I had problems with back pain and I was prescribed with some NSAIDS and I worked with a physical therapist on a rehabilitation program. I hope this works for you too.

I have a similar problem with three herniations in the thoracic. After also having a fusion at the lumbar 3-4 and 4-5, with instrumentation, my doc said I had to live with this new diagnosis of the thoracic. He says the surgery is an awful surgery. I am sure he doesn't want to do surgery on me again as his first one was with bad results. I am NOT a poster child for spine surgery. I would have been better off dealing with the occasional pain rather than my permanent pain. Also I read that disc herniation in the thoracic especially three are very rare.???????????? I hope you can live with the pain you have now and not get the surgery. Sorry but I had to say it. I would love to have my old pain back again.