I’d like to hear some major things about anti depressants and alternative treatments of depression. How effective anti depressants are in post traumatic stress disorders and for how long therapy should last? Can depression be resolved without treatment? The doctor suggested my daughter to try with one year lasting antidepressives therapy. She does not want to take any drugs. I don’t know is it good or bad for her?

Most depressions resolve spontaneously within approximately 8 months. It is not short period that every depression person should wait without medical treatment. But if your daughter refuse taking drugs, it would be better not to make pressure. I’ve heard that nocebo effect can be as important as placebo. If her depression is mild, talking treatments are good alternative for drugs. Behavioural therapy, hypericum extracts and light have great effect in mild depression and are free of side effects. None of medications that are used in treatment of depression is free of side effects; they cause weight gain, vivid dreams, flu like symptoms, anxiety and dizziness. Maybe you should to talk her doctor to check how serious her depression is and if he insists on taking drugs.