Hello. I'm 24 year old student and I believe I have developed some serious health problem. About a year ago I have noticed that that before every stressful situation in life, mostly associated with my studding, I get terrible abdominal pains accompanied with diarrhea and blood and mucus in stool. First, I would like to mention that I have never had these symptoms before.
Two weeks ago I had terrible episode of these symptoms and of course I've contacted my gastrologist immediately. After some blood test and colonoscopy he determined that there is nothing wrong with my but that all these could part of one syndrome called irritable bowel syndrome. What should I know about this?

First, I would like to tell you that you are definitely not alone with this problem. This is very common problem among young people.
In people with this syndrome, the bowels squeeze too hard or not hard enough and therefore cause food to move too quickly or too slowly.
It is proven that this disease has psychological etiology, which means that it is caused by stress. Most common symptoms are bloating and gas, mucus in the stool, constipation, diarrhea, especially after eating or first thing in the morning, abdominal pains and several others…
The treatment is simple- find some ways to deal with stress, such as exercise, relaxation training or meditation. Food should me rich in fibers because it improves how the intestines work.