Hi, I have often thromboses, so I’m taking anticoagulants regularly. Doctors are having trouble diagnosing. Maybe I have antiphospholipid syndrome. Could anybody tell me more about it?

Hi, my cousin has antiphospholipid syndrome. She had a heart attack six months ago and she also suffers from venous thrombosis. But she wasn’t diagnosed to antiphospholipid syndrome after the heart attack. It can occur secondary to lupus erithemathosus, what is seen mostly in women. It is an autoimmune disease, what means that body overreacts to the phospholipids normally present in the blood by starting to form antibodies for phospholipids. Lab tests indicate presence of phospholipid antibodies which make blood thicker and more susceptible to thrombosis. She’ll be receiving heparin throughout her life as anticoagulant therapy.