I have swollen salivary glands that sometimes excretes a white stringy substance that keeps draining. Very painful. Any information would help.

That sounds like quite a condition to be with. It sounds to me like there might be an infection in your salivary glands although I'm going off only a bit of information so I could very well be wrong. I think that your best bet is to see your doctor about this, because it is not going to get better without treatment if it really is an infection like I think it is. The stringy substance part is what makes me think most that it's an actual infection, but that's still a guess. Please keep us posted on your diagnosis. Good luck to you!

Hello there,

The most common cause of swollen salivary glands are salivary stones. Salivary stones consists s of crystallized saliva deposits and sometimes salivary stones can block the flow of saliva.

When saliva is blocked and can not exit through the ducts it can back up into the gland and during this process it is usually causing pain and swelling.

Pain is very mild in the beginning but gets worse by time. The blockage of saliva needs to be cleared as soon as possible and if this is not done (I presume that this is your case) the gland becomes infected.

So now you need to consult your doctor about this and get some medications to treat this infection. Hope this was helpful. 

I have the same problem right now, I have mono. I came on here to see when it would end. No hope finding that answer. For a while, it so painful to eat. I started to get better, and eating wasn't as hard. But now Drinking hurts so bad. My glands swell up a little and my ear starts to ache. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, I'll leave more information then.

Hiya all

I am in the throws of this condition at the moment. Swallowing is very painful havent eaten or drank or slept properly for 6 days now. Two trips to my local GP who asked my firstly to gargle with disolvable asprin and cocodemol tablets for the pain. Didnt help so revisited two days later and he took a swab which i had to take to pathology lab at local hospital. Doc now believes its a viral infection not bacterial so antibiotics no good for me. If it is viral it just gona take time however already had 4 days off work

well, same happened to me. But after i went to see 4 ENT doctors for about 2 years...and didn't help... i just tried to help myself by drinking a lot of water with fresh lime...eat a lot of fresh fruits, massage the big lump that was under my right side jaw. Then, one morning i awake with tremendous pain and swollen under my tongue..and there was a white stringy substance came out from the duct with a good size white stone blocking the exit of the duct.
With my finger i pressed it really hard...then the stone just came out with a lot of the white substance... i can't believed it... final the stone was into my hand. After that, and it is about one month ago... by today...the big lump has gone. I hope that you are doing better with swollen salivary gland.
Natalie.

Hello, I have been going through this pain for 12 years now. None of the ENTs can figure out whats wrong. They say there isn't a stone. So my question is did the ENTs tell you that there was no stone?

I have been experiencing the same symptoms as a number of people here.

For about 5 years now I have been experiencing swelling of the parotid gland on both sides (not always at the same time) - but over time it has become increasingly more frequent and painful. I have tried citrus fruits etc as advised, I have garggled mouthwash, peroxide + water (mixture and ratio advised by the hospital) and a number of other things, none of these have worked.

When I massage the glands I sometimes get a white stringy substance excreting from the duct, this can vary in length and elasticity and can be painful to excrete.

I have had a number of blood tests completed and all have come back clear - It has been confirmed a number of times that I have no infection, I have been on a number of antibiotics (not because of infection but because they can have an affect of the thickness of the saliva) all with no effect. I have had x-rays and ultra sound scans and they confirm there are no stones, but that the ducts themselves have constricted in places and potentially causing the blockage of salivary drainage

I have been to see a number of ENT specialists and am actually going into hospital on Monday for a sialogram / sialoplasty... The surgeon is looking at trying balloon dilation of the ducts. I'm unsure of the actual procedure and possible side effects but have been advised this is a no risk procedure (but could be extremely painful for a few days after).

As a worst case scenario I have been advised on the possibility of a partial/total parotidectomy which carry some risks of temporary facial paralysis, therefore I have opted for the no risk option first.

I am hoping this sialogram / sialoplasty will resolve the issue finally.

Please don't forget to keep us posted.

Please don't forget to keep us posted.

I have the same problem. My salivary glands become blocked and start to swell. Sometimes it is minimal. However, if I press on them and the blockage does not release, it will increase the swelling and create other problems (trouble breathing, stuffy/runny nose, increased heart rate) until the swelling starts to decrease. When they are too swollen, eating makes them swell more. I have figured out that for me, if I drink lemonade, I will always have blocked glands the next day. So far this is the only trigger that I am fully aware of.

I have the same exact issue. Did the procedure work? Did dilation work? Please please let me know..

I have had the same problem for the past eight years.  Mine started when I got a blood infection and an autoimmune disease came out that was dormant in me.  It was always in me just not in full force until I got the infection that almost killed me.  I now have Sjogrens Syndrome which affects the tear ducts in the eyes and salavary glands in the mouth, along with other glands in the body.  I also have other autoimmune problems with this so my Sjogrens is secondary, but back to what I was going to say.  If the doctors cant figure out whats causing the stones or infections to happen, possibly having them check for autoimmune causes is a way to go.  It took them four years and me to loose all of my teeth before they figured it out.  Sjogrens dries out the glands and makes it easier for you to get infections in your eyes, mouth, other areas of the body, and in the salavary glands.  I have stones in all of my salavary glands, have kidney stones, had gallstones, and had to have duct plugs put in my tear ducts in my eyes to help keep my eyes moist.  I also have Arthritis, Fibro, Raynauds, Anemia, Narcolespy, and a few other problems since 2006.  They just seem to keep piling on and I just try to live with it.

Same problem for the past 3 years. I have elastic white strings that blocks exits from both parotid glands, which causes infection and swell. In most of the time, it pastes over the night, probably the stripe went through gland's exit.. There's no stone; blood results are ok, only amylase is high ( sometimes little, sometimes very high, depends of time since of infection).. On last tests, doctors found in staphylococcus aureus on my gland exit, but it could be only a consequence after these infections, but if someone have find a same bacteria on its gland exit, it could be something that we should check out more.. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use