For about the past year, I've slowly developed debilitating symptoms in my hands, feet and face. I've seen 7 different doctors now (2 GPs, rheumatologist, neurologist, cardiologist, chiropractor, ENT) and have had a slew of tests performed, and I still haven't received any concrete diagnosis for my symptoms. Recently, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, but my rheumatologist doesn't think that the numbness and constant lightheadedness I'm experiencing are normal symptoms. I also have been diagnosed with TMJ, very mild scoliosis, and a moderate misalignment in my lower back. The times I start to have these symptoms is if I am walking, driving, standing, exercising, or using the computer. If i'm lying in bed or sitting in a comfortable chair, I'm fine. I don't get tingling in my arms or complete numbness, but rather just a general lack of sensation. I also start to feel "separated" from my body; I'll feel very lightheaded and have severe spatial distortion, so my body feels detached from me, and I have a difficult time judging the distance of things. Sometimes the lightheadedness will get so bad that I'll start to develop "tunnel vision", where I have a hard time registering things peripherally, and I feel like I'm about to pass out. My right arm (and strangely, only my right arm) will start to feel "heavy", and if I look at it, it will feel like it's not my arm--even though I know it is. Despite all of these symptoms, I haven't developed any weakness in my limbs or lack of coordination. I've had 2 CT scans done, a slew of blood tests, and X-rays on my back and head, and everything has come back normal. The only thing I can think of at this point is that there is maybe some kind of nerve problem being caused by the misalignment in my lower back--but I would think my chiropractor would have seen that in the X-rays. Does anyone with back problems (or anyone at all) experience these symptoms, or have any idea what it could be?

With the exception of distortion, I too have had all of these symptoms for about the last 6 yrs. Let me tell you I know what you are going through.
It all started in my jaw. They said I had TMJ. I had arthroscopy done, had a mouth splint made, had my mouth stretched. It did not help.
I went to doctor after doctor, physical therapy, chiro, spent thousands of dollars. Quit going for awhile because I got so frustrated.
Decided to go to a well known ortho surgeon about 3 yrs ago. He performed anterior cervical disc fusion on C-5, C-6.
Once again it did not help! It only made matters worse.
Then I got right back on the treadmill, starting to get second opinions, therapy, etc. No diagnosis nor cure.
I recently went to a rheumotologist who diagnosed Fibromyalgia, Raynaud's. My GP says it's a combination of things...the above mentioned and RSD caused from the neck surgery.
The really sad part for me is I had to give up my job several years ago ( I had 30 yrs in!) because the pain is so debilitating. I cannot get Soc Sec Disability because as most people know in some medical profressional eyes these diagnosis are bogus.
All the doctor's want to do is try meds on me that absolutely make me sick! I cannot take Cymbalta, Lyrica, ect.
I decided if no medical proffesional could help me I would just try to help myself.
I started doing a low impact treadmill workout for 30 min every other day. I started taking (prescribed by rheumo) Magnesium 300mg and Vit D 15,000 untis 2x's a week.
I went for my first massage therapy. The therapist told me to take a bath in cider vinegar...today was my first experience with that.
Anyway I'm sorry this is so long...but I just wanted you to know you are not alone! (After a while everyone makes you think your psycho).
I haven't yet found anything that has helped me but I am still searching. I know that somewhere, someway there has to be a logical explanation. If not I'll have to learn to live with it and do the best I can.
Let me know how things turn out.
Best of health.

Hi. I thought I was loosing my mind the past couple of years. I too get all of these symptoms and for me, they come and go. I notice that I am very "Anxious" and stressed person. Even right now as I type, I am typing fast but feeling very strange with my hands and the way the keybord looks ... I am almost ALWAYS lightheaded.... I had many many many bloodtests and things run due to kidney stones earkly this year but according to all doc's I am HEALTHY as a horse!!!! I truley think it is anxiety related and caffine is a nasty culprit. I can have this off and on throughout the day....I can feel totally normal and great then all the sudden, I am like a nervous wreck with odd feelings and sensations in my arm, leg, foot, face....I begin to fear that I am loosing the control or good cognition of my muscles but Im not. I seem to be able to manage mostly just fine. Its just that I give into "fear" ....I have anxiety, panic attacks especially when I am not getting enough rest. I hope it helps you to know you're not crazy nor alone.....Best of luck to you.

Good to know I'm not alone as well. I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy about a month ago along with extreme tiredness, numbness in face arms, tingling in my head with some headaches. Ugghhh, it's soooo frustrating when NO ONE in the medical field can tell you what's going on. I started having alot of anxiety and panic attacks several days after the symptoms started, so I don't know if this is an anxiety thing or if the anxiety was a result of the symptoms. But I've had cat scans, mri's, and LOTS of bloodwork done as well and everything comes back normal. You know it's bad when you're just hoping and praying that something will come back abnormal so you'll at least finally have an answer. I've only been dealing with this for a month so I can't imagine what some of you others must feel like. Lots of rest does seem to help the symptoms but who can sleep all day!

I've been through the same thing for almost two years. My symptoms come and go but they seem to be getting worst. I've been to many doctors and no one can understand this lightheartedness that I have. Did loads of tests and nothing!!!
For me it seems that when I exercise things get worst and I get dizzy. Do any of you have the same thing after exercising?

I am going through alot of the same...

I have been working at a computer for over 20 years. I think that my neck is very weak. I recently tried progesterone and it is helping.

If you can get testosterone it will also help heal. Then I work out and it builds muscle much quicker. You need that to keep your body in shape. I also tried prolotherapy in Chicago to tighten up my ligaments.

Don't give up..

Stretch - magnesium, maybe a good nerve pill for the times you need it most!

I also think it's due to too much estrogen in our bodies that loosens us up and causes all these goofy symptoms.

I have the same symptoms. Also have fibro and a few other things going on. I told my rheumy for about a year about different combos of these symptoms. Finally, several months ago my toe went numb and stayed numb. Her first instinct was to say it was probably shoes (it did start not long after getting a new pair- but it never went away even when I quit wearing them). Then she asked a few more questions and told me she'd do a blood test just to rule out anything else. The results- low B-12 levels. If you look it up you'll see all the symptoms you describe fall in line with it. I am currently on an OTC to see if it will raise my levels. Next I will retest and if it hasn't worked (which it isn't right now) I will be given B-12 injections. My rheumy said that B-12 deficiency is a common symptom in fibro patients- so that's likely to be your problem, too.

I experienced this something similar to this, including the numbness, tunnel vision, and difficulty using my right arm. I also had a bad case of tinnitus along with all of it. I had one chiropractor make some significant progress with it, treating it as thoracic outlet syndrome. But he couldn't cure it, and nobody else had any ideas about the cause.

I found a solution for my condition though and today I am back to normal. There were 3 basic pieces to it.

-Avoid the things that were major contributors to the problem (for me, mouse and keyboard - I now only use a touchpad)
-Active Release techniques from a trained physical therapist
and the biggest part
-Changing my work chair to a zero-gravity recliner. Good ones are available for about $200.

Sitting in the zero gravity chair, I believe, allowed my body to correct the condition over time, on it's own. It took a few months.

i have been going threw the same thing for about 5 months dr. also know nothing ..its very frustrating i sit in hospital atleast 2 nights a week every week...and tell my dr.and she knows nothing ..i have also had ct scans and exrays..dr always say its anxiety but i know its not....its very scarey i always think im dying..and that a bad thing to have to think every single day when u wakeup wish someone would find out what the problem is...i feel for anyone that has to go threw this

I have had similar symptoms for almost a year. Numbness in my face, hands and arms, and when most severe, toes and calves. No one could find anything wrong. I thought it was anxiety, but it would happen usually when I ate. Didn't matter what it was or where I was. Also when I was standing up and talking. Didn't seem to be related to any anxiety issues. I did some research and tried B12. It did help for about 8 months and I thought I was "cured", but four days ago the symptoms came back so bad, I ended up in the emergency room. My arms and legs were twitching and I thought I was going to lose conciousness. CT scan was negative. My potassium levels were extremely low, but there is no reason they should be - which was odd. I haven't been sick, don't take water pills and I eat lots of potassium rich foods. They treated me with potassium and it helped in the hospital, but now, a couple days later, the symptoms are back. I'm trying to eat as much potassium rich food as I can stomach and trying to hide when I have symptoms.

Do we have anything in common? I am mostly vegetarian. I eat lots of nuts, beans, brown rice, quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, soy, some fish. Late 40's - no menopause yet. Really bad fibroids. Normal weight, bp and blood sugar, some arthritis in my joints. Gluten intolerant too. I have allergies and athsma and use inhaler sometimes. German, Scandanavian and Italian descent.

Maybe with so many of us having the same issues we can find some commonality between us - something we're eating, not eating. Something we're doing, something we all suffer from in addition to the funky symptoms. If anyone finds common ground with my post, please share, thanks!

I have had similar symptoms for almost a year. Numbness in my face, hands and arms, and when most severe, toes and calves. No one could find anything wrong. I thought it was anxiety, but it would happen usually when I ate. Didn't matter what it was or where I was. Also when I was standing up and talking. Didn't seem to be related to any anxiety issues. I did some research and tried B12. It did help for about 8 months and I thought I was "cured", but four days ago the symptoms came back so bad, I ended up in the emergency room. My arms and legs were twitching and I thought I was going to lose conciousness. CT scan was negative. My potassium levels were extremely low, but there is no reason they should be - which was odd. I haven't been sick, don't take water pills and I eat lots of potassium rich foods. They treated me with potassium and it helped in the hospital, but now, a couple days later, the symptoms are back. I'm trying to eat as much potassium rich food as I can and trying to relax through symptoms.

Do we have anything in common? I am mostly vegetarian. I eat lots of nuts, beans, brown rice, quinoa, spinach, tomatoes, peppers, soy, some fish. Late 40's - no menopause yet. Really bad fibroids. Normal weight, bp and blood sugar, some arthritis in my joints. Gluten intolerant too. I have allergies and athsma and use inhaler sometimes. German, Scandanavian and Italian descent. Desk job - work at the computer most of the day.

I also have been experiencing the following: sudden onset lightheadedness to the point that I feel like I could pass out accompanied by numbness on face particularly around upper lip. Arms feel heavy and detached from me and also somewhat numb.. Spatial issues are pronounced accompanied by an "out of body feeling". Head feels extemely "spacey". It can happen in any position, and when it happens when I am driving I am afraid that I will black out and lose control of my car. This started last year and attacks were sometimes frequent and lasted off and on for a few months then went away. Started again last week and this time I think the duration of these'spells" is longer and maybe a little worse at times. I have noticed that I also stumble quite a bit and sometimes have to remind myself to pick up my toes. What is this--its scary and Im afraid that it could be the start of a neurological disease? Any ideas please?

Did any of you with these symptoms ever find any answers? My sister is experiencing what seems to be the same thing. She has been to several specialists, but so far, no answers. She is having the second MRI and MRA soon. We are getting desperate for answers. Thanks for any responses.

I ain't no doctor but all these symptoms sound like sleep deprivation to me. Try taking some vitamins and get some good rest and see if any of the symptoms improve. And sit up straight in your chair. Good posture makes you feel better right away! : -D

Sorry to resurrect this topic 9 months late but I believe I have some insight into what is causing many of these cases.

After taking half of a caffeine pill (100 mg) this evening, I began to get jittery. It was on a full stomach and half a pill is equal to less than 2 cups of coffee an 8oz Starbacks mocha coffee (76mg of caffeine). Also for reference, a can of coke has about 35mg. So it wasn't that much caffeine but I can't imagine what would've happened if I had taken the whole pill.

After I noticed my leg bouncing in class, my heart began to race and I began to feel nauseous. I also felt a very strange lightheaded feeling in my head and the beginning of a headache that never really materialized thank god. . These symptoms are to be expected with a much higher dose of caffeine. Then something strange happened. My arms began to tingle. And A LOT! The numbing was mainly on the pinky/ring finger sides of my hand, wrists and arm. My doctor told me I had begun to develop carpal tunnel about six months ago and I had felt tingling in my hands before, but absolutely nothing like this, except that it occurred on the same side of my arms. The numbing/tingling feeling on the pinky/ring finger sides of my hands is associated with the wearing away of the ulnar nerve at the wrist or elbow (not really sure in my case). I also did notice my vision blur maybe just slightly for only a couple of minutes. Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) is also a symptom of caffeine use (elevated heart rate/blood pressure.

Then something even stranger began to happen. I began to feel numbness on the lower part of my face and the upper part of my neck. I had never felt this at all before. I believe it may be due to some sort of nerve issue in my neck, as I just noticed now my neck is a little sore (maybe how I slept last night.

Anyway this whole attack was definitely cause by caffeine, no doubt in my mind. HOWEVER the numbing in my arms and face, although brought on by the caffeine were due partly to nerve issues. There's definitely a relationship here between an elevated heart rate/ blood pressure and the worsening numbing of certain areas. The elevated heart rate could be brought on by exercise, anxiety, caffeine. This is all speculation but I believe in my case, the numbing I felt was caused by pressure on my nerves due to expanding blood vessels.

It makes sense why no doctors catch anything. You have to be anxious to experience the symptoms. Maybe some people are experiencing at their computers because of their incorrect back, arm or wrist posture that put pressure or wears away at the nerves. I dont know what to say for the people who experience symptoms all the time constantly however, unless then do have a high blood pressure. And to the person that said they experienced symptoms when eating: When you eat blood is diverted to the digestive system so that could be a factor.

As for how to make the symptoms stop, I would say try to correct your postures, avoid caffeine, nicotine or anything else (mainly stimulants) that raises blood pressure/ heart rate. I read somewhere that somebody said coffee increased symptoms and alcohol made them go away, which makes complete sense since alcohol temporarily lowers blood pressure. If you are experiencing symptoms, I would say take deep breathes especially focusing on a long exhale to lower heart rate.

This is all theoretical and just intelligent guessing.