Occasionally, about 4 times in the past 3 months, I will experience a 1/2 to 1 hour episode beginning with itchy palms, forearms, lower legs and feet. The itching becomes worse. Nausea, dizziness, heart palpitations, stuffed up nose, and shortness of breath follow the itching. I then have to go to the bathroom with a bout of diarrhea. One time I fainted while on the toilet and fell to the floor banging my head. These bouts always occur while I am laying down in bed for a nap or before going to sleep at night. They only last 1 hour at the most then go away like nothing happened. What the heck could be causing this?

Hello there..

i have just returned home from dinner. At the dinner table however, i started becoming very blocked in my nose.. Almost straight away my hands and feet began to itch (mostly my heels and palms) and i noticed my heart beating very strongly at a rapid rate.. It has been about an hour now.. I have also experiend a slightly upset stomach.. My skin feels warm however i am getting cold.. I looked this up on Google straight awy and have come out at your post.. Do you know what causes this.. It is not a nice feeling at all..

the same thing happens to me about once every other month. out of no where i will start having stomach pains, a very strange stomach ache like no other (almost like burning in my stomach) and my breathing gets very shallow and i get dizzy and feel like i am going to faint. then comes the diarrhea AND nausea. i will be on the toilet and throw up into the trash can, and this last time it happened the palms of my hands became extremely itchy! and eventually my heels followed. i lay on the floor unable to bear the pain of it all, and eventually after about 30 minutes ..poof...its gone.

I've had the same symptoms for over a year - happening right now in fact. Always comes on at night and lasts 1 - 3 hours for me. I've seen many doctors and specialists and they say it's nothing critical. In my case, it seems to be triggered by a food allergy (or allergy to a break-down product of a food that is absorbed many hours after a meal). I've had allergies for years and they seems to have changed about a year ago. Stress and anxiety also make it worse in my case.

I've also heard that thyroid problems and blood sugar problems can cause symptoms like this, but both were fine in my case. As always, it's best to see a doctor and rule out anything serious...

this happens to me too. i think it is called Celiac Sprue. it is an allergic reaction to gluten. my sister has been diagnosed already. this has happened to me probably once a month for the last year. i thought maybe i was just allergic to milk but it happened again last night and i didn't eat anything all day yesterday. i don't know. i am going to the doctor next Tuesday and i will report back. anyone else seen the doctor?

My son has had this and has undergone a number of tests including one for Celiac... It was NOT Celiac in his case....

Hi! Finally I have found some other people who have what I have. The thing is I don't know what it is. I have just had an attack again tonight. They happen about 4 or 5 times a year. Tonight I was happily watching TV when an attack came on for no reason. The burning itching palms started, and they also go bright red. I then begin to feel really sick and lightheaded. I went to lie down, but had to rush to the bathroom to be sick. An hour and a half later I still don't feel right. I have a very strange feeling in my stomach, and my hands still feel strange. Last Summer I had such a bad attack that I fainted and smashed my face. I went to A&E but they didn't seem bothered by it at all, and they offered no answers.

I'm a 58 yr old woman. I have also experienced these very unpleasant 'episodes' which involve the following symptoms:

- Itchy palms/soles of feet/scalp/groin
- very faint feeling
- short of breath
- nauseous/diaorrhea
- sometimes gripey stomach pains
- indigestion
- redness all over my body

I've had an MRI and ECG and been told by the consultant that nothing was found and that they were 50% sure it was mild epilepsy. However, this does not convince me and they are starting to occur more frequently.
They tend to occur at different times of the day (i have had 5 since Christmas) so there is no real pattern there.

Does anyone have the same experiences or can anyone advise on potential causes of these episodes or seizures??

The doctor tested my blood sugar level and this was found to be normal, although it was taken at a time when i wasn't experiencing the above symptoms. Could this be related to blood sugar levels?

My blood type is O rhesus neg if that makes any difference?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as this is the first time I have discovered there are people out there who are possibly experiencing these awful episodes,too.I feel for you!

Thank you.

E

I have been suffering with these episodes on a fairly regular basis (every 4-6 weeks) for over a year. A year ago i sought the advice of my doctor who was most unhelpful and made me feel extremely silly however, after i informed him of the itchy hands and feet, he did refer to a very rare condition where the bowel will give off histemine.. this is obviously triggered by something, but what?? As a result. he has prescribed me an anti histemine tablet to be taken daily. After a while, i insisted that i be referred to a gasterenterologist who is now on the case and has confirmed this condition and has booked me in for several tests to investigate further. He will not confirm the name of it until it is diagnosed as he does not wish me to do any of my own reasearch.

I will let you know. Thank you all for your contributions... i nearly cried when i tread them because i thought that i was going insane and that i was the only one.

ive recently had the same problems.
they come at random times, and the first thing that happens is my hands and feet start itching like crazy, then i have to run to the bathroom because of diarrhea, then i get really shaky, i get nauseous, my heartbeat increases and i get really hot.

it happened like three times in the past month, i thought i was diseased or something, but when i went to the doctor he just told me i was allergic to something i was eating and told me to eat a healthier diet... didn't really help though.

I have been having this for years, sometimes more often thatn othertimes. It begins wiht the palms feeling tingling and then it turns into the itchiness of the palms and feet. I get this weird nausea feeling, my stomach feels weird. I also sometimes feel itchy by my vagina. My heart does pound quick and I have had a few times where I hyperventilate. I spoke to many people. Most Dr.'s and allergists think it hasto do with the hormones. I do find that I get it around a few days before or after I get my period. I usually get it once a month, although I have had it three times in the last 2 days. A day before the reaction comes I feel slight tingling in my hands. Years ago, an allergist put me on zyrtec once a day. It did help.I stopped taking it,a nd I only took it when I felt those tingling feelings. The allergists did not feel that it was an allergy to a food, because I don't get it after I eat. Many times I wake up from my sleep wiht it. I do find sometimes stress brings it on. If anyone has any answers it would really be appreciated!!

This happened to me just the other night.
I think it may be to do with an allergy to a certain food or to a by product of certain foods once digested.
In my case I think it is to do with Thai food but I am not sure what ingredient it is.
The first couple of times I ate Thai food I had some mild stomach cramps about 2 hours after the meal. I did not eat it for a while and then whilst away with my husband we were trying to book into a restaurant for that night and everything near by was fully booked except the thai restaurant.
About half way through the meal I had the worst cramps and we had to leave.
I was awake all night with cramps but no other symptoms and I managed with painkillers. I thought it best not to eat Thai again and mentioned it to my doctor who thought it could be a reaction to the chillies.
Anyway the other night my daughter wanted to get a Thai takeaway and as she works in the restaurant she would be able to get the cook to not add any chillies to the mix. I was unsure but thought I would be alright.
Around 2am I awoke with the cramps, swiftly followed by a horrible cold sweat and a feeling that I was going to faint. I got to the toilet and had the worst diarrhea. I felt so ill and then my palms begain to itch and i has a tingling burning sensation in my feet and proceeded to vomit.
Within an hour I felt almost fine except for mild cramps which lasted all the next day and had some blood stained stools also.
Does anyone else think it is an allergy as once all the food was out of my system I felt better.

I think in my case, with all the symptoms listed in the other posts, that it is hormonal. I've had this in the past and twice in the last week, both last times happened after i missed my contraceptive pill then took two to catch up, so i need to take care but i wonder what age the other posters are - could it be menopausal?

Hey everybody! I have suffered with these same symptoms for a long time. I am a nurse . Google Mastocytic Enterocolitis. I copied and pasted an article you all should read. And specifically tell your doctor to test you for it. Most doctors just ignore people with these type of symptoms often citing stress or food allergies. Good Luck Everyone!

Thanks

I have the same symptoms and I am so tired of not knowing what is going on!! I get this every month during the time of my menstrual cycle. It always starts with itchy hands and feet, and sometimes I get hives and angiodema. I always have diarreah and vomiting and have collapsed a few times. I wake up in the morning exhausted, as this always happens at night and lasts 2-3 hrs. If anyone finds an answer, PLEASE post it to enlighten the rest of us. I just had x-rays, CT scan, blood tests, urine tests, and others and...nothing! It's so frustrating!!!