When I grab a door handle, such as into the lunch room at work, or the refrigerator, I get a very painful, raised bruise that is very senisitive. The brusing has now spread to the inner side of my finger.

Health Advisor
Have you seen a doctor about it? How long have you had this problem? Have you suffered some kind of injury lately? There are a few possible reasons that could make fingers bruise and the simplest ones is blunt trauma bur I suppose you would have the bruise all the time then.
Other causes include: coagulopathy, which is a disorder in which blood doesn’t clot. The disorder could be secondary to coagulation protein disorders, blood protein disorders, blood platelet disorders and some nutritional disorders.
The bruisng could arise from anticoagulant drugs, which are drugs that prevent clotting. The following drugs are anticoagulant: Warfarin, Heparin, Coumadin, Dicumarol, etc
There is a condition called anoxia, which represent inadequate oxygen supply to an organ's tissues when circulation is good. This could cause bruising as well.

I have this same problem. Simple bumps, sometimes, no apparant trauma and I get areas of raised swelling that are quite painful and rapidly reduce to a nasty purple bruise that then fades very quickly. Did you find out what the cause was for your bruising???

Thanks for any info

I have the exact same thing - what is it? I know it's not trauma as well, and yet it feels like I have something sharp under the swelling/bruise like crystals and when I touch it it's very painful. So painful I try not to grab things with that part of the finer for a couple of days.

I have the same problem. My middle finger is swollen and very painful. It starts out with a bump (vein) on the pad side of my finger. I can usually role it around until it goes back in a little hole in the tissue. this time I couldn't and its been 3 days and very painful and swollen. Not sure what to do this time, wait it out or have it looked at.

OMG!! same here, I do have RA but have had this problem my whole life. I will ask my Dr. tomorrow. I'M NOT ALONE :D

I just had this happen to me yesterday. Out of the blue, just by opening my car door, I got a very painful, raised bruise on the pad of my middle finger. Today the swelling and pain have gone down, but my finger is still purple. The only think I can imagine is that I somehow pinched a blood vessel in a way that popped it. I'm surprised to hear that I'm not alone!

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING. SOMETIMES FOR NO APPARENT REASON OR IF I OPEN SOMETHING OR SOMETHING SO TRIVIAL I DO NOT EVEN FEEL IT, I GET A BRUISE ON ONE OF MY FINGERS. IT IS VERY PAINFUL TO TOUCH BUT THIS ONLY LAST FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS, IT TURNS PURPLE AND IS GONE IN A FEW DAYS. HOW DO I FIND OUT WHAT IS CAUSING THIS. IT SOUNDS LIKE OTHRT PEOPLE HAVE THIS ALSO. THANK YOU, KAREN

So has anyone got an answer to this yet?? Same thing just happened to me yesterday. Loading the dishwasher, realize my thumb hurts, and look down to see it swollen with purple bruise. Today the swelling is down, but the entire end of my thumb is a deep purple. This has happened before on other fingers, and usually is completely gone within a few days. I have never noticed any unusual bruising anywhere else on my body.

gosh and me ...I went to have this investigated...oh at least 10 years ago Im now 50 and I still get it it does appear to happen more frequently in winter and I also suffer from very easily losing feeling in fingers when the weather is cold. When I had the investigations done they could not find ANY reason for it, just think that I may have very small capillaries in the gingers ( hence easily losing heat and little things cause them to burs t and have tiny painful bleeds, I usually get them on the underside of my fingers but yesterday unusually I had it on the outside of my middle finger....has anyone else ever had it looked at ...got any ideas ? It can be quite frightening when it happens ! %-)

I guess the world may never know...
I have the same problem too. If I lift something in a seemingly wrong way, grab an object just tight enough or pull, the bruising (and sometimes minor swelling) will occur for a brief period. This can easily be reagitated if I am not careful enough. There seems to be a lot of talk about coagulation deficiency. That makes sense. I know that Vitamin K is helpful in this regard. I am going to try this to see if it works.

I have had this for some time too and I mentioned it to my doctor who just said something along the lines of it's just something that happens. Which wasn't a very satisfactory answer at all.

If I clap or pick up something with a tight grip, or sometimes for no reason, the finger(s) swell, turn blue/purple, swelling goes down and bruise usually fades within two days.

Interesting to see I am not alone.

I had this happen today too. I have had it happen before but today was the worst. I have no idea what it is but glad i am not alone.

I have the same thinghappen regularly. I am surprised to hear that so many people have the problem. It happens to me every once in a while, different fingers, but it's always the index, middle or ring fingers on either hand. I noticed this time that my joint closest to the end of my finger got stuck and popped. I wasn't doing anything that should have strained it. The joint turned bright purple, then it spread and swelled. Now, a couple of days later my entire middle finger is sort of burgundy colored, still swelled. Last night it was throbbing after I did some dishes. I have mentioned it to a couple of doctors. One seemed very concerned, but had no idea what to do. Another said that it is normal for a person, when they get older, to have this. I am 53 and in good shape, good weight. I have fibromyalgia. Wish someone had some idea

It's ridiculous, isn't it, that doctor's will tell you "it just happens"? Yes, it happens, but I'm pretty darned sure there's a reason for it!

I too have had this happen to me for 4 or 5 years now. I can just pull a door handle (the same one I pull every day) and then, one day, it seems my fingers are very tender and the fingers that did the handle pulling are purplish blue and bruised up. I have to be careful for a day or two not to re-agravate them.

I would LOVE an explaination and a cure.
Like others here, I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to (wish it didn't happen to any one).