I am a 31 year old male and have recently noticed an increase in Heart palpitations shortly after eating meals. I dismissed these symptoms but they have become more and more frequent especially after eating meals high in sweets. Sometime the palpitations occur almost immediately after swallowing foods, especially those high in sugar. I have now experienced vision problems after eating to go along with the palpitations. Are these symptoms of a digestive problem, high or low sugar levels or worse yet a pre cursor to Diabetes?

I had the same problem two years ago and I was so afraid that I got GERD just like my husband did. However, he didn’t have any heart palpitations but I did. (I had no blurry vision though).

You didn’t say if you went to see a doctor about the matter. You may have heart problems in the first place.
I had all sorts of tests and checking and wasn’t found anything to be the matter but when I said to my doc that I immediately make coffee and smoke after my meals, he advised me to stop with the habit at once.
He said that excessive smoking and caffeine are common reasons for causing heart palpitations and that I should cut down if not quit and avoid having coffee and smoking directly after meals.
He also advised me to eat smaller meals, more often if necessary and to avoid alcohol as well.
I went through GERD symptoms with my husband and it said that heart palpitations are not a direct GERD symptom meaning it could occur but as a consequence of chest pain and anxiety followed by it.

I still think you should see a doctor.

for the last year or so I've noticed that after eating sweets like chocolate bars, ice cream or cookies from Subway that my eyes seem to hurt. Sometimes to the point where, i'd guess I'd have to say I can barely see.... sort of.
I feel compelleted to close my eyes and squint very hard or rub my eyes and have decreased speed when it comes from quickly shifting focus back and forth between 2 objects.

I'm 24 years old. Very slim. I exercise but don't usually do anything cardiovascular.

I've spen the last 6 months avoiding sweets and treats but the result is that now even the smallest bit of sugary food causes eye pain.

Should I get checked for diabetes or something else, could it be an eye problem and I need to see an optometrist?

Have you found out anything since you wrote this post?
I have the exact same symptoms! I've stopped drinking caffeine and coke a month ago, but now, any drop of sugar will make my eyes really hurt, especially towards the back and I get dizzy and nautious and the only thing I can do is lie down & close my eyes.

thinsoldier wrote:

I'm having the same problem......

lisa34 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame#Aspartame_controversy

thinsoldier again, sorry I never replied.

I've switched to all different candies from what I used to eat. And only 1 or 2 cause eye pain (still subway's chocolate chip cookies).
I've switched from Pepsi to coke. In my country coca cola uses real sugar and doesn't give me problems at all like Pepsi does. Lots of other local foods also use real sugar. I strongly think all the fake sugar in processed foods and snack foods we import from the US is what my main problem was. My secondary problem was just plain too much sucrose in my diet, pure sugar or otherwise.

I can eat an entire raw sugar cane with no eye pains now. But of course I still have the same side effects anyone would have after eating and entire sugar cane.
http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/3024/sugarcane1fa.jpg

But some phillipino people told me that Bahamian sugar cane isn't nearly as sweet as sugar cane in other parts of the world they've been.

I turned 41 this year and have just started having the same problem... only for the past month or so. It's very scary. I tried various "food experiments" to see what could be causing the eye discomfort (seems to be more in my right eye than the left, but both hurt) and it definitely seems to be the sugar content in the foods I'm eating. Has anyone received any feedback on this ?
--Rahlan

thinsoldier wrote:

At first I thought I had a nervous tick becuase I had to squint all the time, but I find that it is 2-30 mintuees after eating high colories or sweets.

Does anyone find that drinking water minimized the effects really quickly?

Help if anyone knows about what is causing this.

I can't eat anything with sugar with out my eyes hurting. This started happening about the same time cataracts started forming. I'm not diabetic but the cataracts are diabetic in nature. Eye doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I describe how my eyes hurt within a few minutes of eating anything with sugar.

Rahlan,

I am responding to your 04/17/07 post about eye pain after eating sugar. For over a year now I have had intermittent severe right eye pain that seems to correlate (after eliminating all other consumable substances from the list) with eating anything with sugar in it. Have you had lasting relief by completely elimating processed sugar from your diet? I went to an eye doctor who came highly recommended last November. She diagnosed me as having dry eyes and put me on Restasis eye drops. The Restasis has proven totally ineffective in relieving my symptoms and actually makes my eye pain worse. Needless to say, after giving it a few months, I stopped using it. The left eye is without any discomfort whatsoever at all times. However, the right eye pain is becoming unbearable and I am desperate to find relief. This eye doctor says she has nothing else to offer me in terms of treatment options. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated tremendously.

Thank you.

Reactive Hypoglycemia symptoms include visual impairment, accelerated heartbeat, fatigue, anxiety and a good few more..

The following is an quote from 'health.howstuffworks.com'

Reactive hypoglycemia is caused by oversecretion of insulin and consequent rapid lowering of blood glucose levels in response to ingestion of glucose. Reactive hypoglycemia is also known as postprandial (after meals) hypoglycemia, because it occurs specifically in response to ingestion of food.

The specific causes of reactive hypoglycemia are unknown in most cases. However, certain persons -- for example, those in the early stage of adult-onset diabetes mellitus and patients who have had part or most of the stomach removed surgically -- are particularly susceptible to reactive hypoglycemia.
-end quote

There is no magic pill to treat this one.. you need to monitor your sugar intake and avoid foods that trigger this. You may want to have several smaller meals per day instead of 3 big ones. This will help keep your blood-sugar levels balanced.

often, but not always, when i eat sweets (esp chocolate), my right eye gets strangely blurry as if there's something in it. i rub it and try to move my eyelid around, but it doesn't seem to help. it doesn't really hurt; it just feels weird.

i have had this happening for the past couple years, at least. figured i was the only one. i was really surprised to find so many other people experiencing the same thing.

anybody ever find any answers?
i assumed it might be something related to diabetes, but i don't have diabetes, nor have i ever had any blood sugar levels that were out of the ordinary.

Hello.

I'm sorry you are all having these symptoms, but I am glad to hear that I am not insane. I thought I might be when I began to realize that the eye pain I have mostly happens after eating sweets! I have the very same symptoms that you all describe.

Does anyone think it could be related to a certain medication--such as Wellbutrin? Has anyone had their blood sugar checked to eliminate pre-diabetes? I haven't yet, but I did just have a very comprehensive eye exam during which the doctor said that each component of my eyes was perfectly normal. He prescribed eye drops for computer strain, and they made the pain even worse.

I will say that I have tried many over-the-counter products, and that Celluvisc does seem to help a little. I have rosacea. Do any of the rest of you? Perhaps it could be occular rosacea?

its most likely you are hypoglycemic.
i have the same problem but control it by eating high protein meals and snacks , making sure to eat every three hours or so and avoiding sugar and high carb foods.
its the sweets affecting your blood sugar, so if you can keep a steady and stable blood sugar level throughout the day it should help a lot.

JD528 wrote:

I am 27 years old I have been having heart palpitations for the last two years after i eat. I have been to 2 cardiologist who said everything was normal. but finially put me on antenolol to help with them. Atenolol does help but not always. It does not seem to be any specific food but anything heavy for sure. it makes me not want to eat and i am afraid if i gets any worse i will have an eating disorder or something b/c the palps make me anxious and worried everytime i have them b/c the often last for an hour or two but my heartrate is usually only like high 90's. Does anyone have this problem or know anything that helps?