Hello all! I'm 25 years old and I'm getting married in a couple of months. My doctor has me on Byetta. I'm planning on getting pregnant within the first of our marriage. I've heard some bad things about Byetta and pregnancy. I don't know what to do. Should I stop using Byetta before I try to get pregnant or when I'm trying to get pregnant. If I stop taking Byetta before trying to get pregnant, how long before trying to get pregnant should I stop taking it. Is there anyone out there that has done this and if so can you help me please. Kind regards.

Glad to hear that your using planned parenthood. You really need to talk to you doctor about this. My guess is that you can wait until you start trying to get pregnant to stop taking it, however I don't know your particular case. Remember, to have diabetes and be pregnant require that you have your blood sugar levels be well managed. High sugar levels during the first few weeks of pregnancy have been known to generate birth defects.

Nevertheless, the FDA has classified Byetta as a pregnancy Category C drug. Basically what that means is Byetta has not been studied in pregnant women but in animal studies it causes harm to the fetus. Also, keep in mind that drugs that have not been studied in animals or pregnant woman are automatically lopped into pregnancy Category C as well.

Animal studies on pregnant mice demonstrated baby mice with lowered growth and some birth defects particularly with bone and the death rate was higher. Keep in mind that other animals (as we are animals as well) do not respond to drugs necessarily the same way we would. Quite often experimental animals are exposed to much higher dosages than we would take.

So, if you are thinking about getting pregnant or are pregnant, you need to talk to your healthcare provider. Your doctor will determine the benefits and risk of taking this drug before and during pregnancy in your particular case. Then he/she will make certain recommendations based on that.