Hi. I am planning to have a baby. However, I suffer from polio (abortive). I am considering taking a poliovirus vaccine. Will it affect my baby?

Hi. Well, you already have polio. So there is no need to take a poliovirus vaccine. This vaccine is usually given to pregnant women who are at risk of catching polio. Anyway, according to scientist, poliovirus vaccine will not cause birth defects. It will not cause any problems in nursing babies too. If you suffer from mild form of polio, like you said, you probably have only mild flu-like symptoms. People who suffer from abortive polio make a full recovery. My brother was diagnosed with more serious form of polio, called nonparalytic polio. He`s on therapy right now. His doctor said he`ll make a full recovery. I don`t think mild form of polio will affect your pregnancy. Paralytic polio is another story. It causes paralysis of your arms, legs, and extreme breathing difficulties.