My sister went to the country with her boyfriend last weekend but when they came home, both of them got really sick. My sister was womiting all day long, had fever, abdominal pain and was fatigue. She was a wrack. When we found out that her boyfriend is having the same troubles we took her immidiatelly to the ER. She had her blood tested and found to have been infected with a worm called Trichonosis. What on earth is this? I have never heard of it. She was given a drug called mebendazole.

Trichinosis is an infection one gets after eating undercooked meat of animals who were contaminated with the larvae of Trichinella. When a person eats meat contaminated with Trichinella cysts, acid from the stomach helps in opening the cyst and realizing the worms. They travel to small intestines and mature there. They mate and lay eggs. These immature eggs travel to the muscles through the arteries and there they curls into a ball and become cysts. When these cysts are eaten, infection occurs. First symptoms show just 2 days after infection but may resemble flu and are not diagnosed on time. If not treated at all, the outcome can be fatal.