I have learned that laryngitis is an irritation and swelling of the voice box and the area around it. I had opportunity to see how it may cause voice to change. My friend has laryngitis, and he loses his voice entirely for a short while. His doctor diagnosed him with laryngitis, so I would like to hear something about this problem.

The problem called laryngitis occurs the most commonly in late fall, winter, or early spring. With or without treatment, person should be well in 7 to 14 days, others should visit a doctor. Laryngitis is usually caused by a virus or by bacteria, as well as when person yells. People who smoke, have allergies, or strain their voices by yelling, talking, or singing may commonly come down with the problem. The classic symptoms are a hoarse, low voice, and a scratchy throat, as your friend experienced. Commonly patient loses voice, develop a sore throat, and come down with a fever. He might feel he has a lump in his throat, or feel very tired if he suffers of laryngitis. His doctor should prescribe an antibiotic to treat any infection such as laryngitis might be. Tell your friend not to use his voice for several days. He should either speak very softly or write notes until he can talk normally. It would help if he gets plenty of rest and drink extra fluids, such as water, fruit juice, and tea.

If you have laringytis, do you need anitbiotics, or will it go away on.