Hello! My brother told me he had “false myopia”. Anyone know about false myopia? I have never heard of something like that. I know that myopia is a condition where near objects are seen clearly but distant objects appear blurred. And I know this is due to longer eye ball than normal. But, what is about false myopia?

Hello! False myopia is also known as “pseudo myopia”. It is the blurring of distance vision brought about by spasm of the ciliary’s muscle. It occurs when there is excessive accommodation which is usually associated with prolonged periods of near work such as studying, watching TV, computer work or playing electronic games. The ciliary’s muscles develop stress, spasm and then paralysis conditions in the adjusting mechanism. When that happens, the person may appear to be myopic since it has shown that true myopia may develop from false myopia.