Hello! My mother noticed that my brother started to watch TV from a very short distance. When she asked him what was the reason he explained that the picture was blurry and that he needed to come closer to see clear. My mother took him to the eye doctor and he diagnosed myopia. He prescribed eye glasses but my brother refused to wear them. What are the risks of ignoring to use glasses if you suffer from myopia?

Hello! The first sign of nearsightedness is difficulty seeing distant objects like a movie or TV screen. This problem is usually discovered at school children since they also have problems seeing the chalkboard. Myopia usually progresses through adolescence and stabilizes at most children in early adulthood. I assume your brother refuses to wear eyeglasses because he thinks he will not be “cool” and he is afraid that the girls will find him unattractive. Try to talk to him and explain that he will be able to see distance objects clearly with his glasses and that the glasses will prevent having trouble in school and in social settings. Unfortunately the course of nearsightedness can’t be changed once the condition starts. Not wearing glasses will not increase his myopia but he will most probably have trouble with learning in school and building social skills.