For past 2 weeks, I have a small about 4 inch area on my back in which I have this intermittent crawling and burning sensation under the skin surface. It comes and goes and is often more annoying than painful. However, from time to time, it actually becomes painful. There does not appear to be a rash on the surface, In fact the skin looks relatively normal. I do not have a clue about what is happening.

I also have the tingling sensation on my left shoulder and left hip area,
it comes and goes, not painful but quite annoying. I have been having
back problems, which I assume they are related.
I cannot find out what it really is, I found an article that stated it may
be nerve damage,. Have you had any responses? Thanks

Did you get an answer to this one? . . .c seems I have suffered with similar symptoms occasionally for years; recently the pain has increased.

I used to have the same thing. It was some kind of nerve thing occasionally...around my shoulder blade. The only thing that worked was something nice and warm...not hot, just warm like a heating bad on kind of low. When it first happened it felt like someone was touching me on my shoulder or a bug was there...couldn't figure it out. The warmth works so well I try to remember to carry a heating pad when travelling just in case.

I have very simular if not exact simptoms to which you describe. Localized low down on my left shoulder blade, close to the centre of my back. It began about 2 years ago with nothing more than an itch or a tickling sensation. I thought at first it was a stray hair caught up in my clothes but it persisted intermitantly. I even took to shaving the area (awkwardly!) incase there was one of those stray hairs growing out of my back. That was no cure so I refrained that option after several months. I also considered it might be linked to my psoriasis which I have at the base of my scalp but there's not a mark, spot, scab or even any inflamation.

In the last fortnight my symptoms have worsened. It started to feel like a bruise as well as itchy. I can't reach it properly to scatch it, (dislocated my shoulder 4 times so have restricted movement), so it is becoming unbareable! This week, the sensation has worsened again. The itchy sensation is overridden by a painful burning sensation and it also feels like a pin is being pushed into my skin.

I know that if I visit my GP, who will see no skin damage etc., she will put it down to stress & anxiety, which I have suffered from on and off for 7 years. That's why I'd like more information on this problem before I start chasing it up with medical professionals.

Any help would be very much appreciated. It's really getting on my nerves now - litterally!

I have tapped into several forums and have found a bunch of us with the EXACT same symptoms in the EXACT same spot: below the left shoulder blade towards spine, a pancake size region. This is way too coincidental to ignore. OK, so we can rule out bugs and Morgellons and other ideas tossed around. This has to be neurological in nature. I am suffering from high stress due to a divorce and teenage kids, and uncertain financial outlook, etc..

What the heck is this? Nobody has chimed in with anything conclusive.

Nothing is visible, it is intermittent, it doesn't hurt, so therefore you feel like a panzy going to the Dr for it. Somebody please, PLEASE find an explanation. I could probably live with the sensation for the rest of my life as long as I know I'm not dying from it.

I'm just glad to see I'm not going crazy. I have this same irritating feeling on a localized section of my back as well. It doesn't hurt, just feels like something is crawling under my skin. If I sit back against something like a chair then the feeling goes away. It is driving me insane. I believe I'm going to have to go to the neurologist. If anyone has been to the doctor for this same thing, I would like to know what they have said.

I too have the exact same symptoms, only difference, the feeling is on my right shoulder. I've had the feeling for about a year, tingling like a bug is on the back. This past June I did have a breakout of blisters on the skin surface directly over area of sensation.

My thought is this could be a herpes zoster/shingles condition. It is in the nerve endings and the blisters were similar to herpes.

I'm going to contact me physician and if I find out anything new I'll post the site.

I don't wish this on anybody, but I am so relieved right now I found you all! I have had these same exact symptoms for about four years now, only it started on my forearm in a small area, then it stopped in the forearm and moved to a small area on my outer upper arm. Then just the other day it moved to my FRONT left shoulder.

I have gone through long periods where it doesn't bother me at all for a few months at a time, then it will bother me daily for months. The only thing that relieves it is putting ice packs on it. No rash, no bumps, just a prickly itchy sensation with the feeling like a couple of needles are sticking me in that area.

A few of you mentioned you have psoriasis. I too have psoriasis in a few small areas on my body, so I'm wondering if in some way it is related to psoriasis.

I have totally ruled out a food or medication allergy.

I too now wonder if it is neurological in nature. As someone else mentioned, I could live with the stupid condition as long as I know I'm not dying from it. Since it moved up to my shoulder and near my armpit, I started wondering about lymph nodes and cancer and all kinds of horrible things! Yikes! So I got online and I ran into all these posts.

I am totally ready to get down to the bottom of this, now that I know I'm not alone. Let's find out what the heck this is!

This is the first site I've found that comes close to describing the symptoms I've recently encountered. It started under my right armpit a few days ago. I originally thought I was having a reaction to deodorant. It felt raw and sensitive to the touch, but there was no rash.

Then another area began in the right waist area a day later, followed by the same problem on my right hip and in the right groin area. It burns slightly, but is very sensitive to the touch - almost like I've been bruised in all those areas. But I haven't.

Oddly enough, it seems to diminish when I sleep, but returns pretty quickly in the morning.

Unlike some of you, I don't get an itching sensation, just the burning pain.

At times, I've had a similar pain when I've pulled a muscle from being in an odd position, but previously it always went away within a matter of minutes. This time, it not only stayed, but grew to additional places.

Please post if you get answers.

I too have had an itchy section on my left shoulder blade toward the spine. For about 4 years now. Doctors can't see anything and basically ignore my concerns.
Around 4 months back I had a patch about 2 inches round appear on top of my left shoulder which was gone the next day. It felt like insects biting. A few weeks later, I began to get a rash which over 2 weeks, covered my upper body, back & chest. This rash became extremely itchy and lasted 2 months. Nothing gave relief. Now, I have an occasional rash which is mildly itchy and comes and goes within an hour sometimes. I also have a crawling sensation on many occasions on my lower stomach area.
I have been diagnosed as having CMV. Google that.
Not sure if the CMV is the only problem though. Let's keep searching. Ken. Australia.

FOR THE PAST TWO DAYS I HAVE ALSO HAD THE STRANGEST BURNING SENSATION ON MY BACK. IT BURNS FOR A LITTLE WHILE AND THEN GOES AWAY. IT IS QUITE ANNOYING. I READ THE OTHER MESSAGES AND TWO OR THREE LADIES WROTE IN FOR THE SAME PROBLEM. WHAT CAN IT BE.

I have recently encountered the exact same problem. I feel a burning sensation under the skin in a 1-2" region over my back left shoulder blade (between the blade and my spine). There are no noticable signs on the surface. It does not feel like a bug or anything moving, but more like a small sunburn. Sounds very similar to everyone else's problem. Any new ideas?

I too have this exact problem but it is on the left calf high and near the knee on the outside of the calf. I also have multiple sclerosis and have considered this to be a part of an exacerbation which I am currently experiencing. I do however attribute the exacerbation to stress which I am told can also cause the feeling that I am having. It almost feels like hot water is being put under the skin and it cools almost instantly. Mine started out mild but is becoming increasingly irritating.

I have almost the exact same symptoms, but mine are on my face. Along my jaw line on both sides and my cheeks will itch (sometimes almost unbearably) and will alternately have a burning sensation. For the first couple of months there was no rash or skin irritation showing, but I think I irritated the skin for long enough that now I have some minimal redness that shows on my cheeks. Occasionally the burning sensation goes so hot that it translates into an ultra cold sensation, as if I have ice cubes on my cheeks. I've been to my MD twice and a Dermo once, neither of them had any clue. I've taken prednisone, hydroxazine, zyrtex, and now a steroid cream that I am putting on my face. I get no relief. If anyone finds anything out, please please post.