I am about to have an apiectomy performed in a few days. Those dentists never say anything, they just do, and as they have other appointments, they never have the time to explain what they are doing. I would still like to know what is done during an apiectomy. Is there anybody who has some info on this topic? Thank you

Hi there! I was concerned about the same matter, so I did a little bit research on my own. I prefer when a dentist tals to me what s/he is doing, but not all dentists do that. Before my apicoectomy I did my homework! Here is what I found: Apicoectomy, otherwise known as Root-End Resection, is the removal of the root tip and the surrounding infected tissue of an abscessed tooth. First, the tooth is being numbed and the gum around the tooth lifted in order to uncover the underlying bone and the root end of the tooth. The root-end is then removed with all the surrounding infected tissue. After this, some filling is put to seal the end of the root canal, the gum is repositioned, and a few dissolvable stitches are placed to hold the gum tissue back in its place until healing occurs. That’s about it. Sounds simple! hmmm