My 13 year old brother was diagnosed with ITP when he was 2 years old. On the 22nd of this month he was complaining of stomach pains and due to his pre-existing condition, was taken to the emergency room. It was discovered that he had appendicitis and was immediately taken into surgery. During the laproscoipc procedure his appendix ruptured and gangrene was discovered and supposedly treated. Four days later he was discharged from the hospital with no perscription antibiotics, pain medication or post-op instructions such as diet restrictions.
Yesterday, twelve days after being discharged, my brother was suffering from extreme stomach pain and excessive nose bleeds. He was rushed to the emergency room and via a CT scan was diagnosed with an abscess at the rupture site 2"x2" in size. He is currently in a hospital bed, two days after being admitted, awaiting the test results of a sample of fluid taken from the abscess.
My questions are many but I will try to limit them to just a few; Does the abscess in this situation require immediate attention/surgery? Is gangrene commonly found during an appendectomy? Should he have been prescribed antibiotics after the appendectomy and could the abscess be a result of that lack of medicine?
Any information would be greatly appreciated as, I am very concerned for my brother's health and safety.
Thank you.

I had my appendix burst in mid augest and i too developed an abscess filled withpus and gangrene. unlike your brother  they didnt remove my appendix because my small and large intestines swoll over the appendix which made surgery to remove it very dangerous as they wouldnt be able to see it properly. instead i had a percontinuous drain inserted into an incision made in my abdomon neart the abscess (while awake lol ouch!) and had the fluids drained but i had to live wiyth the drain for a minium of 3 weeks. during the three week period and while in the hospital for seven days i was given morphine through iv and antibiotics. in my opinion yu should sue the hospital for taking care of him improperly. i dnt understand why someone with an infectious abscess after a ruptered appendix isnt given antibiotics to fight the infection or pain meds. for example when discharched from the hospitali was given one type of antibiotics for ten days. after i stopped taking them i got high fevers again and needed more to fight off the infection in side me. i was giventwo stonger kinds of antibiotics both for another 10 dy period. without the antibiotic i am sure i would have been in much worse shape and possibly even died. when he gets home always be watching for fevers and make sure they give him antibiotics!