My brother in law had an operation removing his GallBladder on 11/1/07. He had an ERCP to remove stones on 11/5. He is still in the hospital as of today 1/17/08. He had pancreatitis and many infections including c-diff. To date he cannot hold even a sip of water in his stomach without vomiting. He has had many CT scans, upper and lower GI's and they cannot find the problem. The doctors are baffled. He is currently being fed through tubes into his lower intestins. Has anyone experienced this side effect and if so, have you found the problem and the solution? We would be greatful for any help with a direction.

Hi, don't know how much help I can be, but I've had the same things done with similar results. I was fine for about a year after gall bladder surgery then ended up on the floor one night bout 3 am. Ended up in an ambulance and in the hospital. They thought I may have been passing a stone left behind after the gb surgery. I had an ercp the next day and ended up with pancreatitis. They kept me in the hospital for 2 weeks after that and I've never been the same. This was in October of 2007. Since, I've had major breathing problems, and massive abdominal pain and bloating. It's gotten so bad that I have only been able to work one month since the procedure. I worked most of January, but have been in bed since then getting up only for major reasons. I have been back to the doctor many times and have had xrays and ct's along with the ultrasounds and all have shown nothing. At least thats what the doctor has told me, the same doctor that performed the ercp. I'm just wondering if he's screwed something up and is not telling me. There is something wrong and I can not function any longer and I have to find out what. I am not going crazy, I am not being lazy, but I can't bring myself to get out of bed. I hurt ALL the time and I have no idea why. I hope your brother in law gets better, and if they find out what it was, please post it here.

Steve...

Im not a doctor or anything but perhaps you both should research infections caused by surgical cuts in the bile duct, it is the number one cause of malpractice suits with these surgeries, and causes infections and vomiting.

Hi Worried, Please can you update this post, to include the outcome, treatment, cause, details etc, for conclusion, or on-going treatment. It would be very nice as its a a few years later, and I would like to know the outcome, along with many others perhaps... Thanks, Brad from ZA

I'm not a physician either but Just went through something similar. And my circumstance I had 212 gallstones removed from a very skilled surgeon however I experienced pain after the surgery about three weeks later. It was a very difficult and long road and all tests;ultrasound, Blood tests and MRCP showed everything was normal. I had to advocate aggressively but respectively to get the med team to all get on same page and give me updates. Did lots of research on my own to u/stand the basics, kept log of pain, food intake and times. Had questions ea. time for drs and wrote answers down. My husband was med proxy bc at times I was too sick to talk. They removed a large stone from bile duct in ERCP yesterday. Was in hospital 10 days. Still more follow up to insure pancreatitis,liver "irritation" or small leak as result of further or previous surgical manipulation doesn't occur. Do your homework, proceed methodically and get your questions answered. Try not to scapegoat Dr. You'll get better coop. They're merely a very skilled guide trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together. If your Dr. Is giving u empty answers, tell him you're thinking of looking into another physician that might have more experience troubleshooting difficult cases. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

I had something like that. I has ultrasound, MRI, CT scan. Nothing showed up. The doctor put a drain in the abscess and as it drained, small black objects started to drain out. Seems that when they took out my gallbladder, he left stones in my body. They caused a lot of pain. 3 surgeries to get all the remaining stone out of my body. Still having some issues, but I can work. I am trying to find somebody else who has had this problem, who has taken legal action