Hi, folks. My friend had some skin wound that got complicated with gaseous gangrene. He was hospitalized, but now he is efficiently recovering from it. I would like to know something more about the outcome of this disease. Can anyone help me with some more info? I will appreciate it. Bye!

Hi, there. I am glad to hear that. Gaseous gangrene has severe prognosis. If it is left untreated, the outcome is lethal in 48 hours. Even with the treatment, 1 of 8 patients can die. The best thing is to prevent it. When any kind of wound happens, it should be cleaned thoroughly. Anti-tetanus protection is a must! I hope this helps. Bye!

Hello, guys. When gaseous gangrene is suspected, immediate treatment must begin. The wound must be cleaned thoroughly. Any foreign objects must be removed. High doses of antibiotics are given. Those are mostly penicillin and clindamycin. Some experts recommend hyperbaric oxygen, although not all experts agree with this. I hope this helps. Good luck with all. Bye!