Hi, guys. My uncle has been diagnosed a lung abscess. He was administrated to the hospital and he will be treated there. I am curious how lung abscesses are taken care of. What does therapy does consist of? I would really appreciate all your replies. Thank you for all your help. Bye!

Hello to you too. Since lung abscess is an infection caused by microbes, the main therapy approach is using antibiotics. The most used antibiotic is clindamycin. It is believed clindamycin to be more effective than parenteral use of penicillin. Another antibiotic used here is cefoxitin. It is a second-generation cephalosporin. Antibiotics should be given for a longer period of time – approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Some doctors recommend antibiotic usage until X ray shows complete healing. If there is no response to antibiotics, then percutaneous catheter drainage or surgical resection of the abscess is required. I hope your uncle will feel better. Bye!

Hi!

I am diagnosed to have lung abscess and took oral medication of levox 500mg once daily for 14 days but no resolution. I was admitted to the hospital for 4 days and was administered tazobactum 4.5 g 3x a day thru IV and was given oral antibiotic upon discharge, Clindamycin 300mg 3x a day and xenoflox 500mg 2x a day until nov 2, 2008. I am praying that the abscess will be healed and that I'll not be subject to surgery. Just wanna know, how's your uncle? I read that 95% of lung abscess do not require surgery since it is very risky.

Thanks!