Hi, my wife had abcess in her armpit. It had size of ping-pong ball and doctors have tried three different kinds of antibiotics, but the abcess was resistant. They gave her IV vancomycin, still no reaction. Lab analysis showed that it’s a staph infection. Now, I’m starting to get really worried, because so many drugs are giving no result. Any advice what to do? Thanks in advance

My daughter had abscess caused by staph infection two years ago. The antibiotics couldn’t solve the problem, so the surgeon had to cut into the abscess and drain the pus out of it. The drainage tube was maintained for three days, to suck out all the pus in order to prevent reoccurrence of infection. Pain also decreases with drainage of the abscess. After surgery she was given oral antibiotics for a few days.The abscess is actually body’s response to an invading germ, where white blood cells reach the place of inflammation and secrete special enzymes designed to destroy germs, but they affect the surrounding tissue as well. All these destroyed germs, cells and enzymes form pus, which is main cause of the abscess. If antibiotics can’t reach the abscess, it has to be treated surgically.