Hi, my mother is 45 years old, and she suffers from IBS. She doesn’t tell me much, but I live with her, and I know her diarrhea became predominant. She lost her appetite completely, and I know that’s not because she’s on diet. Is it possible that she lost her appetite because of diarrhea, or am I overreacting?

Yes, it is possible. It happened to me a while ago. A loss of appetite is just one of the symptoms of IBS. I experienced some other symptoms too, such as abdominal bloating, mucus present in the stools and nausea. Talk to your mother and explain to her that she shouldn’t be embarrassed because she’s sick. Many people have IBS, and not just diarrhea, but many types of it, like constipation, IBS with alternating stool pattern and post-infectious IBS. With loosing appetite, I lost some weight too. I was dehydrated, and I had to drink 10 glasses of water a day. I was feeling queasy every time I smelled food, and few times, I even threw up. This is probably why I felt like I didn’t have appetite.

DID YOU EVER GET YOUR APPETITE BACK, I AM GOING THROUGH THIS NOW AND I FEEL LIKE I'M NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER, HELP ME UNDERSTAND PLEASE!!!

i just lost the urge to eat, i used to eat a lot that i used to worry about becoming overweight which has never occured to me, now i am more than afraid because if loss of apetite is an ibs symptom (before i had ibc c, i used to eat a lot till then now i have bm, but the abdominal bloating is there so i d rather think bloating has become predominant ibs symptom for me, i also suffer from fibro) then it's easy for me to loose weight since gaining weight for me is hard, but i never lost weight in my life, always 60kgs at 5'2 only, but till then i used to eat like a horse....now since ibs a i have lost the urge to eat and have normal bm, although sometimes they are small or diharrea like, i had many tests done was admitted to hospital once, i had cpk (for fibro) , year back i also had emg, cbc, cpr, calcium levels, esr, various sonography scans of the abdomin and the pelvis and urinary tract, (with blood tests), colonoscopy and all are normal, i don't know if i must do a gastroscopy but the doctor said not needed unless i have considerable loss of weight.... my ibs gets very bad when accompanied with fibromyalgia.
write back

Hi there its so good to read that others have the same as I. I had semonella poisioning 7 months ago - never have had the normal bowel motion every since. I was under alot of pressure also as my sister was diagnosed with cancer and mother ill and in hospital for 4 months. I have no appetite - i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy 2 weeks ago and nothing sinister was found - the doctor thought i have post infectious SBBO - put me on 10 days of flagyl - and if doesn't help will just have to live with this and stay on the Fodmap Diet. Like you, I have lost alot of weight (mainly from the orign. poisioning) but have lost a small amount of weight since i guess because 1/ i have cut out alot of c**p foods and 2/ my anxiety and depression are through the roof. I have just started feeling nauseous which i didn't get alot of and that has put me into a spin. I know i have to relax but when you go to the toilet and low and behold there's another different motion it gets upsetting. I don't have full on diarrea persay - but little bits and pieces. I have been told to get on to soluable fibre and normafibre to help the stools solidify up. I also think that red meat is affecting me. I'm mostly on a bland diet which doesn't help. Anyway hope you are better now. Cheers