Hi everyone,

My mom has been suffering from chronic anxiety since I've known about myself. It wasn't easy living with her, I can tell you that. But when you see her so fragile and you honestly know that she is such a kind and nice person who would do anything in the world for you to feel well, you just have to love her and be there for her.

She recently almost completely stopped eating. A friend of mine told me that lack of appetite is more or less common in people who have chronic anxiety. Does anyone know why does this happen and if she can get her appetite back, how can she do it?

Hey Eating Boss,

I don't know why exactly is this happening to people with anxiety but it is quite a common thing that people with anxiety don't want to eat, I mean, they don't feel the need to eat. I'm not sure about getting the appetite back either. You see, people normally lose a lot of weight when they have anxiety, right because of the fact that they lose their appetite. People with anxiety lose their interest in whole world, in every action that can be done, and in eating food as well. Lucky for everyone, at least they still drink water.

Guest has a point, this is more or less common thing in people who have anxiety. You are even lucky that she stopped eating just recently, sometimes it happens at the very beginning of anxiety.

Well, since she doesn't want to eat and she doesn't feel the need to eat, the only thing that you can do is to make her eat. Now I don't know how you can do that, she is your mom and you know better than I do what can you do in order for her to listen to you. Good luck and I wish everything gets to be okay.

Hi again guys,

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it.

It can be very hard to convince a person who is suffering from anxiety. It is always hard actually. But since I am her son, I will definitely find a way to do this. Well, it won't be without her yelling and cursing probably, but I'll make her eat, that's for sure. 

Is there maybe any other way that you know of, or that you maybe just heard of? Any advice is valuable, even if you never seen anyone try it that way, it still might be good, who knows.

I really don't know. Trust me, I have tried to find this out because my cousin has obvious problem with it. She was really happy and good girl but all of sudden she became depressed and she started to deal with chronic anxiety. It was not something that she guessed, doctors told her this according to some analyses. Well, she was fatty girl before and I remember that I haven't seen her for a while so when I saw her she was - thin. She lost a lot of weight and her parents told me that this is because she lost her appetite. They don't know how to get it back :/  

Hello guys. I had problem with it. I lost my appetite during chronic anxiety as well. It happened all the sudden and I didn't know how to behave. I just couldn't eat, everything that I was eating before was disgusting for me. I didn't know what is going on so I went to see my doctor and he told me that I have that kind of problem. So he told me that I need to find the best formula to eat. I didn't know what this means for him, so I started to force myself to eat a lot. It was very hard at the beginning, but very soon my appetite came back. So I think that you really need to wish for something and that is going to happen. Good luck.

Hello there. It is very hard to explain. A lack of appetite can come and go like it never happened. But in some cases, for example, you may feel like not eating once and you can feel that you are full, even if you did;t eat. Next step is that you can find that food really bad taste. But let's cut this long story short - being anxious cause your body to produce more stress and the stress is usually a response  that is designed about specific physiological and emotional changes of the body's ability to deal with the problem. Usually, those are the changes that can affect stomach and digestive system function. That is an explanation.

Hello guys. I had problem with it as well. I was always eating very good, but in the last couple of months I caught myself having zero appetite. I didn't know what to do, so I went to see my doctor. He told me that all those symptoms that I am dealing with are the classic symptoms of an anxiety. So he prescribed me a Lyrica and it was really helpful to me. I know that he told me that I should took only a couple of days, because it has those calming effects so I listened to him. During this time, I was calm and I didn't have any side - effects, even if you can have them. That is normal for every medicine. Good luck!