Hi, I'm a 21 year old female with a major anxiety problem which only really became an issue a few months ago when I had my first panic attack. Before this first attack I was constantly tired and felt unwell. All was relatively controlled for a while until 3 weeks ago when I lost my appetite and pretty much started getting attacks almost every night before bed and I just can't get a good nights sleep - when I'm almost asleep I'll wake myself up because I feel like I can't breathe (my first panic attack happened when I was going to bed). Now that I'm finding it difficult to eat and have burning in my chest and throat after eating I feel even more that there is something wrong with me other than a panic disorder. Has anyone else had a lack of appetite with their anxiety? I LOVE food and it's really getting to me. :( Any info would be muchly appreciated.

I too am deeply affected by this effect of anxiety; in that the primary manifestation when I am exposed to external stressors, or when I'm in an acute period of anxiety, I loose my appetite and REALLY struggle to eat...to the point that it becomes a secondary source of anxiety that further perpetuates the condition. This is especially hard in the morning, afternoon and evening for me. For some reason at night the anxiety can lift somewhat and I am able to eat. But I can definitely empathize with you all. This has plagued me since I was 6 years old till now. I'm 32, male, married and have 3 kids. My job can be stressful, but it even gets worse when I'm feeling like this because I get overwhelmed of how will I cope and face challenges that constantly come my way. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

If you are taking antidepressants or any type of meds for anxiety it will have an adverse effect on your apetite. I have the same problem. I've been taking meds for 3 years now and doesn't seem to help me at all with my anxiety. I don't eat and my immune system is taking the toal. I.m seriously thinking of weining off everything very gradually because I don't beleive that meds can help for a long term healing process. Before my burnout I always had a good apetite and was physically fit. Now I am more or less controlled by the side effects of medication. They tamper the symptoms a bit but the long term side effects are actually worse than the benifits of the drug itself. Talking with your doctor and a cousellor about all of this can can help come to a decision about other alternatives than drugs as a long term bandaid. Hope this will be of any help for you. God Bless. Jocelyne :

I am exactly like you- when i get panic attacks and overall constant nervousness I cannot eat a thing- I feel gaggy all the time.

'I get the samer way but I'm 16

I am 18 and I feel the same. I recently started having panic attacks out of the blue about three weeks ago. I'm on lexapro and extended release xanax, but they don't seem to do much. The anxious feelings are still there, just subdued. And my appetite is completely gone, which is so frustrating, because I'm already underweight. (5'3" 100 lbs)
I wish that I had a solution, but unfortunately I don't.

I'm a 14 year-old girl and I got my first panic attack last night. It was from stress and the sudden news of my friend getting surgery because of a brain tumor. I can't eat anything, if I put anything in my mouth that is food, I feel like I'm about to puke. The only thing that's willing to go down my system are liquids like water and bland tea. Tasteless liquids, anything with a strong taste makes me gag. When I sit still, I shiver and get chills even if the room is extremely warm, it's terrible. When I try to sleep it feels like paranoid and insomnia put together. I keep thinking of my poor friend in surgery and it haunts my mind. When I do get to sleep, it's only a few minutes/hours and it feels as if I'm awake. When I AM awake, my heart rate goes crazy and I have to breathe in and out to calm down and I get the sensation of vomitting again. At times, I'll be breathing normally except my body shakes and sometimes it's only my chest that gets all tight. I keep worrying about my friend and once it gets to an extreme I break down randomly and I have to hyperventilate to regain myself but my heart still races and I feel dizzy. I never thought these things happen to early teens such as myself, and this is the first time I ever felt like this before and I've been through alot of stress, but I suppose my friend going through surgery pushed the limit. Please, are there any ways of calming down other than deep breathing?

Hello!
i'm 21 years old and have gone through the same things alot of you are talking about... I'm in my 4th year of a Honours Psych program in Canada and the start of my 4th year i was crying everyday, losing weight at a real fast rate and having panic attacks. I couldn't sleep well... I had extreme anxiety... and felt like I was crying more and more every week. I was put on antidepressants for Anxiety and Depression and since then my appetite has gone bakc to somewhat normal.
But what i noticed was eating and anxiety are definately directly related.. I think they have a bidirectional relationship where they both effect each other. In other words, when you restrict your eating because of different reasons (depression for me) you begin having horrible anxiety.......... or if you are really anxious do to mental health issues, this will effect the eating you are doing. It's just funny how our mind and body are connected isn't it?

There is an increasing realization that medicines are just short-term solutions to problems like panic and anxiety disorders. This thread along with so many others makes it amply clear. Let me share a couple of ways I have come across to overcome this without relying on drugs - 1) Solution-focused brief therapy(SFBT) - This is one of the relaxation techniques for anxiety that is brief and is forward looking - finding solutions to your problems. As mentioned in the name itself it is meant to be brief - that is you typically start seeing a difference fairly quickly - in 4-5 sessions. Get hold of a good and experienced therapist and you can even start feeling better earlier. There are practitioners/centers in UK, US, Europe and Australia. Not quite sure of other locations. 2) One-step technique - This a self-help technique that is growing in popularity rapidly. This being a self-driven technique you can really experience the difference for yourself, which is a very fulfilling feeling. This can be used irrespective of whether you are new to the condition or have already undergone medication/therapy. If you need more details about this mail me at ****** Note that you may not be able to become independent of medicines immediately, but it can definitely work in reducing the dosage, and gradually the dependence. Both these techniques are so attractive because of three reasons as I always say - they do not have side-effects like that of drugs, it is quite inexpensive - especially on the long term, and also with self-effort, you're bringing back the self-confidence you once had, and start enjoying your life. Take care.

i am 18 yrs old and almost have all of your symptoms. It started about two years ago when i began dating my boyfriend. I dont know if it was the stress i was going through from our rocky relationship or what but all the time i felt nauseated and gaggy. I didnt vomit, came close a few time during panic attacks but this condition has truly put my life on hold. I cant eat certain things i used to for fear that ill feel sick. I dont go anywhere too far from home so incase i feel this way or an attack comes on i can hurry and get home where i feel most comfortable. I have days where i feel so good and healthy but 80% of my days im extremely tired, nauseated, gaggy and Hot. almost to where i feel like i have a fever but everytime i check my temperature its normal or below normal. I can eat like i'm always hungry even while im gaggy im hungry at the same time. Im on no medications and havent been on my birth control for almost a year. Depo provera. at first i thought that was the cause but this is really messing up my life and i dont understand whats wrong with me. Next week im going to a G.I doctor hoping she'll be able to figure out whats wrong. Sometimes its so bad

hi. i'm 23 years old and i also have panic attacks on an irregular basis. they started about 3years back and the weird thing, is that they occur almost exclusively in the middle of my sexual intercourse. which makes my sexual life very frustrating.

i am still unable to explain the cause of all this even though my attacks have subsided a lot but can surprise me any time.

i have been feeling very stressed lately, and lost all pleasure in going out, and eating. food no longer has taste for me, it makes no difference whether i'm eating a piece of chocolate or a spoonful of soup.
this is really annoying cause i was intending to put on some weight, cause i've lost 4kg and it shows, since i am only 42kg now.

at the same time ,i've been avoiding people because i didnt want to hear them say that i lost weight again. so i stayed away from friends and spent all my time with a guy i like but who likes someone else. this is stressing me even more cause i am torturing myself.
i want to smoke badly but i'm trying to resist, i said i would stop.
now all i want is to regain appetite so i can look healthier and happier.

I've been having this same problem. I'm already skinny. One night, all of these random stresses just built up and I ran outside for fresh air, all dizzy, and threw up. It's like, I'm hungry, but don't want to eat, because it feels like I'll throw it up. I can eat a little, but sometimes the throwing up feeling comes instantly. It's easier said than done, in the sense that "don't think about things that make you nervous". I've been trying to just relax lately. doing things that make me happy. doing things to keep my mind off it. I find it easier to snack a little when watching tv. Either way, you have to force yourself to eat. The problem will get harder to fix the longer you put it off. There's tons of people online that are having the same problem, so dont feel alone. Just try reallly hard to choke down vitamins and water at the minimum. make sure it doesn't get completely out of control.

The same happens to me. I was in college and eating in the dining hall triggered panic attacks. I would have to go running out and then I'd breathe as if there were no air in the dining hall. Soon just thinking about eating made me nauseous and panicky. I eat as much as I can when I am feeling anxiety, but I don't push it. I eat small amounts of food throughout the day.

I Feel exactly the same!!!!!

i believe that God will heal me as he heals all!
He is a good God (:
Trust in Him!

God bless

Bismillahi rahmai rahmeem.

I think i have 2 cures to anxiety that has helped me very well get over my stress and anxiety.

Hello everyone. I have sufferd from this appetite loss and honestly i think that was my biggest symptom. A big thing that helps me get over my anxiety is:

1) sitting down and talking to someone about what might the stimulus of your anxiety. I honestly have never had these random feelings, but now that i found out what the stimulus is (either school, work, home, relationships etc) try to find out what it is and and that in itself can help you out. Avoid that stimulus and that can prolly help your anxiety to a degree.

2) PLease do not take me wrong what so ever and think that im tryna give my bias opinion on anything but just hear me out.. i honestly think that ISLAM is the cure to stress and depression. And i say this with no desire to convert your  or do anything because at the end of the day it is not in my power to convert anyone, but it is Allah's power for the change of heart in someone. So all im tryna say is search up something called "ruqya and cure for depression and anxiety in islam." Ruqyah meaning Quranic healing based on what is correct. I had the shiekh perform some ruqyah on me and honestly it probbably helped my condition 200 %. That same sheikh told me he has had scenarios with some other clients that they have been hospitalized for a while with no medical reason why they are being hospitalized but when he did perform this ruqyah on them they were released for the hospital the next day. I have felt the power of Allah thru the quran. And i personally felt how anxiety can feel and how consuming it can be. I beg Allah that for everyone t obe cured from Anxiety and depression.... so if you really want the cure to your issues please please please turn to islam. And do your own research.