Hi, in the last year, I had constipation several times, and a doctor told me that this condition is called irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C). It wasn’t serious before, but now, I have also a strong abdominal pain on the right side. How should I treat this before it gets worse?

Hello, I have IBS-C too. Constipation is just one of few irritable bowel syndromes. There are also diarrhea (IBS-D), IBS with alternating stool pattern (IBS-A) and post-infectious IBS (IBS-PI). I have a bowel movement once a week, which is infrequent and not normal. However, I never had a strong abdominal pain, just an irritation in the lower stomach below the belly button. Many people who have constipation ignore their abdominal pain and they wait to be cured by some miracle. I remember when a doctor told me that I should immediately consult him if something like that happens. A strong abdominal pain is one of the things that requires an immediate assessment, so don’t wait, go to doctor!