Hi, my wife suffers from IBS for couple of years, and she had only bad experiences with medicines. They didn’t help her, and she always had some side effects. Now she suffers in silence, and refuses any medical help. I heard that herbs can be helpful in this condition. Which herb can help with bloating and gas?

Hello, I was using some herbs for treating the same condition as your wife. I had IBS, with gas and bloating. I remember from all herbs, fennel was especially helpful in reducing both gas and bloating. It stimulates the production of gastric juices, and helps with many conditions like bowel irregularities, menstrual cramps, heartburn, stomachaches and indigestion. This greenish brown seed can be found in spice shops and health food shops. You can make a very nice tee from it. There are also some other herbs you can use for IBS, like ginger, peppermint, chamomile and anise. Anise is very good for gas and bloating, and for diarrhea and vomiting. If your wife has menstrual cramps, chamomile will help her.

I have IBS for a few years now. I found that it runs through the women in my family. I am one of those though that go either way constipation, or constantly in the bathroom. For a long time I thought I was have female cramping, but found that it was the IBS. The gas and pain was horrible. The Zelnorm for the Dr. didn't work. So I changed the way I eat. I know what irritates my stomach, yes I still eat things I really shouldn't but.. I am only human. Everyone has different things they can and can't eat, but I have noticed no matter what I eat or drink, SUGAR causes a lot of bloating. I cut down my sugar intake, for other reasons, but noticed that I didn't get a persistent bloating and pain. Also I found that Papaya pills helped as well. She might want to try more fiber, not necessarily in food, because the foods that have the high fiber are hard to digest for us with IBS, but try the pills or new sprinkle stuff for your food. I hope some of this helps. I am not a doctor, but I have had this for around 5 years now. Good Luck, and one more thing, try to be patient, it is hard to live with sometimes and trust me a patient caring husband or significant other is very helpful.