Hello all. I have been suffering from indigestion (even when I have nothing in my stomach), diarrhea, general abdominal discomfort, bloating, and lots of nausea for the last year and a half. I had some problems with these things before a year and a half ago, but for the last year and a half I've been having a lot of this stuff nearly constantly. The predominant symptom is nausea. There are days sometimes where I cannot eat ANYTHING because of the nausea. Then it can let up for a few days and then it comes back. This usually lasts for a few weeks and I lose a lot of weight. The last time it happened I lost 30 pounds.

I got a stomach virus a year and a half ago, and so doctors were thinking post illness IBS - which I admit certainly could be a part of my symptoms - and other possibilities such as h. pylori and giardia. I've had a colonoscopy, endoscopy, small bowel series, capsule endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, gastric emptying scan, and a whole lot of bloodwork - all of which came back normal, except my IgA levels were elevated (which prompted the capsule scope, but no sign of colitis or Crohn's.) 

Finally, a new GI ordered a HIDA scan and said that if it came back normal, then he would go with a diagnosis of post illness IBS. I just had the HIDA scan done on Friday and was told that my ejection fraction is 28%. My GI called me today and told me that that is considered "mildly abnormal" and that it may be what is causing my symptoms but the only way to know for sure is to have it removed. I have no pain, though. My mother had to have her gallbladder removed a few years ago, but she had bad pain in addition to nausea and other symptoms I'm also having - but her EF was at 0%.

I'm curious whether there are those that have had similar symptoms to mine and whether they decided to have their gallbladder removed. I'm just not sure what to do. I've read about gallbladder/liver flushes, etc. and don't know if that stuff works.

Anyway, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Its very hard not knowing what to do.

As a followup...

After a lot of different medical methods attempting to rule out IBS or functional dyspepsia failed to bring about much relief, I decided to have a cholecystectomy middle of March 2013. Within days of the surgery, my hunger returned and my other symptoms resolved. I have only had minor nausea from time to time - presumably as my system heals and adjusts to no more gallbladder, as it has gotten better and much less frequent over time. Pathology of my gallbladder showed chronic inflammation, but no stones or sludge (though my surgeon did tell me stones would likely have developed next over the following several years).

I took the gamble, and turned out it was the right thing to do. It was a long road - over two and a half years of test after test after test - medication after medication after medication.

I'm the same at 28 with stabbing pain and I cannot digest fat. Are you still doing well? It could also be my pancreas as I've had labs that point to that but clear scans

Thank you for posting this. I have suffered for the last eight years with the same symptoms that you had. I have my gallbladder taken out in 3 days. I'm very nervous about it and I've even considered chickening out. I think it's time. I'm glad that I read this article my injection fraction was 28% also but the ultrasound shows signs of sludge. Thank you again for posting this.