Hi. I found this site because I was seeking for help but it seems to me that no one can help me. I am concerned a little bit – actually I am scared a lot. My doctor told me that I should do myocardial perfusion scan as soon as possible. He saw something and he wants to be sure that it is nothing wrong with my heart. He didn’t tell me a lot of things but I am in panic. Huge panic! I am scared of myocardial perfusion scan and even if everyone tells me that this is safe, I want to know are there any side – effects of it?

Hi Guest.

A lot of people have a myocardial perfusion scan without having any problems. But it can happen, although it is very rare. Exercises or the medication that makes the heart beat faster can cause an abnormal heart rhythm or even the heart attack.

I know that, as with any other types of radiation, there is a very small risk that the gamma rays may affect an unborn child for an example.

It is also rare that some people are allergic to the injected chemicals.

Also it is very possible to receive an overdose when the chemical is injected but it is also very, very rare.

So generally, I think that you don’t need to be scared.

Hi guys.

Well you should know that like most medical tests and procedures there are also some risks involved when you are having a myocardial perfusion scan.

The specialist team who is involved in your care will have access to your full medical history just to be sure that the benefits of the information provided by the scan outweigh the very small risks.

There is a very low risk that any medication or even the exercise required for the test can cause some abnormal heart rhythm or even a heart attack. You know, the risk of heart attack is about 1 in 20.000 cases so it is very, very rare.

I don’t think that you should be scared.

There is definitely no need to panic. You haven’t even done the scan and you are already thinking about what might go wrong.

There are side effects of this scan but they are very rare. Like they told you above, if you are pregnant there is a chance that this may affect your child. That’s why you need to tell your doctor if you are pregnant.

And there is a chance for an allergic reaction to the injected chemicals to occur. But this is also very rare.

My advice for you is not to panic, there is really no need to. You will be just fine.

I know a guy who had this type of scan. I actually saw him right after he came from the doctor with the news that he had to do that scan.

I remember he was relaxed and when I asked what’s the matter and what type of scan that is, he just told me it’s nothing.

He wasn’t worried or anything. He explained me what was it about and never mentioned any possible risks of that scan. So I figured it’s completely harmless, maybe just as risky as x-rays.

His doctor would probably mention the risks if they were likely to happen.

Well doctor won’t mention any risks when you are doing x-rays and we all know that there are some risks.

My opinion is, if you are not a pregnant woman, you should do the scan and stop thinking about side effect.

I mean you are not a doctor and you cannot determine if the potential risks that this scan carries outweigh the benefits that it will bring. That’s why you have your doctor. And he already did that for you.

He wouldn’t make you to do that scan if the serious side effects are likely to happen. So no overthinking, you’ll be fine.:)

Hi there.

You should not be that worried. There is no need for this. A work colleague of mine had this scan as well and he was scared a bit. He was lying down, thinking what can happen to him. He was shaking a lot and when this procedure started he saw that there is no need for him to be worried.

He told me that this was done in no time and that nothing happened to him.

And I was reading about this and found that doctor will tell you not to do this test if your risk of heart attack is very low. There is no reason for this because you will have a lot of chest discomfort and this will made you believe that you have some heart issues.

I had this done. I really had to. I am totally against all these things that doctors do nowadays. All these technologies are indeed genius and I admire people who came up with them and developed them so much. But the thing is I’m not sure how healthy these things are for our bodies. Can the benefits ever cover the potential risks? It’s just the same with the drugs, they eliminate or camouflage one problem while producing another one. Anyway, I still decided to take the scan and everything was fine, no side effects whatsoever. I hope you’ll have a similar experience.