Hi there. How are you? I was hoping that you can help me about one very big issue for me. I have very weak heart and I am doing a lot of tests and analyses. I don’t know how many of them I did in the last couple of years. It is annoying a little bit and I am tired, especially because I am senior (71 years old) and I don’t know should I do any of those tests anymore. I went to see my doctor today and he suggested me to do nuclear medicine heart scan “just to be sure”. I don’t know what he was thinking about, but I have heard that this scan is not that safe. Is it true?

Hello there.

I am very sorry, I can understand what you are going through. I really hope that you are going to be fine and that everything is going to be OK with you.

I think that you should not be afraid about this because there are so many nuclear medicine centers that are located in every hospital. A doctor who has special training in nuclear heart scans will oversee the test.

Like I already told you, it is safe but you need to know that before the test begins, the doctor or a technician will use a needle to insert an intravenous line into a vein in your heart and he will put radioactive tracer into your bloodstream.

Good day there.

Don’t worry. It is safe. Nuclear medicine heart scan is a branch of medical imaging that uses very small amount of some radioactive materials to diagnose and to determine how to treat some disease. In those diseases there are so many types of cancers, heart conditions, endocrine, some other abnormalities in your body, etc.

Nuclear medicine procedures are able to pinpoint molecular activity with the body and that is why this scan can be very good. They offer some potential to identify diseases in its very early stages as well.

This scan can help you determine what is wrong with your heart very fast.

Hey everyone. I consulted one friend of mine who had experience with Nuclear Medicine heart scan. You know what he told me? He told me that I should not do that because it is not safe. He told me that after this scan he had some issues with his health. When I asked him if he is sure that nuclear medicine heart scan caused this, he told me that no one told him so, but that he is sure especially because he never had any health issues beside heart problems. Now I am seriously thinking to avoid this scan. Any suggestions?

Hey there everyone. Dear Guest, that is totally wrong what your friend told you. He needs to find out what is the main cause of his health issues, but I am almost positive that nuclear medicine heart scan is not! Nuclear test is safe and some complications can happen in only one case out of every almost 2000 tests done. These complication can be: skin rash, large fluctuations in blood pressure, irregular heartbeats, asthma, but like I already told you it is very, very rare.

So don’t hesitate. If your doctor told you that you need this scan – you need it. And don’t be afraid. That is the worst thing that you can do!