Hi guys,

I've been talking to me boyfriend today and he told me that his sister is supposed to do an echocardiogram, it's a type of a test or something. Anyway, we both know nothing about it and although it is his sister in question, he doesn't seem to be worried about it at all. I kind of even got mad at him because of that.

So we agreed that we are both going to find out what this means. I would like it if somebody could tell me what is an echocardiogram and are there any risks of taking this test?

Hey Adria,

Echocardiogram is a type of test which is used to search for possible heart diseases which a person could have. Before I tell you how these work, let me tell you that there are several types of echocardiogram tests and all of these are completely harmless, so no worries about that.

An echocardiogram uses sound waves to produce images of one's heart. This is a commonly used test and it allows one's doctor to see his or hers heart beating and pumping blood. Therefore, these images are used to determine whether or not does a person have any sort of heart disease.

Hi Alan,

Thank you for your answer but now I am kind of sorry that I even asked about this matter. If he didn't find out anything about this test, how can I possibly tell him that his sister might have some sort of a heart disease? I mean, these kind of things are life threatening and can easily end up with the person's death, I can't tell him this if he didn't already find out the same thing. At least the test itself isn't dangerous or harmful. 

Well, now that I already asked, can you tell me anything else about this echocardiogram test?

Hey Adria,

Well, I'm sorry, but that is just how things are.

I can't really tell you much more about echocardiogram. It's a pretty simple test, and it is quite commonly used. There are a few different types of echocardiogram test but you don't really need to know about these, his sister is only going to do the most common one. Anyway, if you want to find out more about these, you can search the internet, there is plenty of info there.

I believe that you now know the two main things; your boyfriend's sister might have a heart disease and this test isn't going to do her any harm.

Hi you two,

I have to critic your way of looking at this, Adria. It is your boyfriend in question, his sister actually, and you have to share with him what you just found out. I'm almost sure that he wouldn't like it if he found out that you knew something about this and you didn't tell him. But if you both agreed to do a bit of research about this thing, then he probably already knows what Echocardiogram is used for.

Do you have any news about his sister's condition? Did she take the test, and if she did, what did it show?

Good day there everyone.

My friend did this and she told me that this is not such a big deal as you might think. There are several ways why your doctor can recommend you to do it. For example, your doctor may suggest an echocardiogram if he suspects that you are having problems with the valves or chambers of your heart or if heart problems are the cause of symptoms such as shortness of breath or chest pain. So, if you have any of those symptoms it is very important to tell your doctor. Again, an echocardiogram can also be used to detect congenital heart defects in unborn babies.

Good day folks.

Echocardiogram is a test as you already know,  in which ultrasound is used to examine the heart. The equipment is far superior so you really don’t need to be scared that something will go wrong when you are doing this test. The echocardiogram is a test that also offers far more sophisticated and advanced imaging. I really don’t know that anyone had some problems with it, so I guess that there no are risks.  An echocardiogram can be obtained in a physician's office or in the hospital. There are no special prepare to do before this test.

Hello there. My wife did echocardiogram. Well, you are perfectly safe because there are no risks involved in a standard transthoracic echocardiogram. Sure, you may feel some discomfort similar to pulling off an adhesive bandage when the technician removes the electrodes placed on your chest during the procedure, but that is very small discomfort that usually disappears very soon. But if you are having a transesophageal echocardiogram, your throat may be very sore for a few hours. Also that is normal and you should not be scared at all. It is perfectly safe. Otherwise doctors won’t recommend it at all.

Hello there. I would not agree totally with you because I believe that every test has its own risk. I don't know which one can be in that case, but I am sure that there is a risk of taking echocardiogram test. That is why I would like to suggest you to consult your doctor as soon as you can and if you have some question, some fears you should ask him and tell him how you feel. That is defiantly the best option than asking yourself what is going to happen, what you can expect etc.

Have a nice day.