Good day there.

My husband's dad needs to have Mitral valve repair procedure. He needed to do this procedure almost three years ago, but he didn't. Now his condition is really serious and doctor told him that it is just a matter of time when this can have some fatal effects on his health. Since he is really scared of everything, he finally accepted to go to the surgery. But since he is 72 years old, I can't go without asking you are there any complications of Mitral valve repair procedure? If there are some, can you tell me more about them? 

Hey. Every procedure has its own complications.  Valve replacement is typically done as an open-heart surgery. Before you have this replacement surgery, you and your doctor will decide on which type of valve is right for you. Then, you can go to the repair procedure. Some possible complications can happen after the surgery.  After you have this procedure, your heart should function just fine and your life will largely return to normal. But, the main complications that you can have are not so visible anymore, because you should no longer have shortness of breath and fatigue. But if you had problems with you heart before, there could be some complications.  

Hello there. For a lot of people, the operation will greatly improve symptoms and quality of life. That is why this operation is recommended for everyone who have problem with it.  Now, like all operations, valve surgery isn't risk free, of course. Your own risk will depend on certain factors, such as on your age, your current state of health and the degree of valve disease. Before your procedure, your surgeon will discuss with you both the benefits and risks of the operation. Than they will see are you able for this operation.

I believe that the biggest risk is if you have a heart valve problem or have had surgery on your valve, you are at risk of developing endocarditis. You are also at risk if you have had endocarditis before.

Hello there. I am sorry to tell you this but he is pretty much old and you can expect any kind of complications of mitral valve repair procedure. My neighbor John was 65 years old when he needed to have this procedure. They also told him that his condition is serious, but that he needs to do it. He had so many complications during the procedure and after the procedure. His blood pressure was really low, he had the worst headaches and he was fainting all the time. I suppose that this is all because of his age. But I know that he needs to do it. It is important.

Hi there.

I don’t think that there are so many complications because we all do know that mitral valve repair procedure is the most common procedure.The mitral valve is the most commonly repaired heart valve, but the aortic, pulmonic, and tricuspid valves may also undergo some of these repair techniques. The valves are made up of leaflets or flaps – I am reading about this just now. If your valve can be repaired, your doctor will perform this procedure and you should be fine without having any complications.

Of course, any procedure can have some issues but this is not the one that someone should be scared of.

Hi there everyone. It is me again. I was just talking yesterday with one of my friends. She had this mitral valve repair procedure and you know what she told me? That this is the worse thing that she went through in her life. She was in such pain after the procedure and she had some complications during the procedure. I am not sure which complications she had, but she told me that those complications were the main reason why the surgery lasted for more than 7 hours.  So you can expect that everything is not going to be good. You need to be prepared.